New podcast on Parasites

Beman

Social Media Manager
Staff member
Chameleon Academy Podcast: Episode 274 Topics in Parasitism for Chameleon Keepers

Covers quite a bit. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-academy-podcast-2021/

Chameleon-Parasites-Podcast-1920-×-1080-px-1-1536x864.jpg

I enjoyed every minute . when I first got in the cam keeping . we could only get wild caught . so parasites have always been a bone of contention . we generally treated every chameleon we had .. so this experience with bill is awesome .

As always with chameleon academy podcasts, I found much food for thought in it! Thanks once again, Bill, for all the work you put into these podcasts!

When I first started keeping chameleons, they were all wild caught and, if my vet said they had parasites, we treated them right away. As time passed, I didn't always treat them initially unless they seemed to be causing problems....and if the load was heavy, they were treated with care, slowly so we didn't overload the chameleon's immune system.

As always with chameleon academy podcasts, I found much food for thought in it! Thanks once again, Bill, for all the work you put into these podcasts!

When I first started keeping chameleons, they were all wild caught and, if my vet said they had parasites, we treated them right away. As time passed, I didn't always treat them initially unless they seemed to be causing problems....and if the load was heavy, they were treated with care, slowly so we didn't overload the chameleon's immune system.
I am glad you enjoyed it! In a strange twist I found myself enjoying figuring out the questions that I would love to have answers to. I am afraid I may be waiting a long time, but I keep watching the papers released to see if any tidbits come our way!

I am glad you enjoyed it! In a strange twist I found myself enjoying figuring out the questions that I would love to have answers to. I am afraid I may be waiting a long time, but I keep watching the papers released to see if any tidbits come our way!
I'm always interested in studying unusual things...what questions would you like to have answers to? Maybe I'd like answers to them too!

I'm always interested in studying unusual things...what questions would you like to have answers to? Maybe I'd like answers to them too!
#1 question: If the reptile hookworm is able to gain entry into reptiles through the skin like the human hookworm can (supposedly reptile parasites retain this ability), then do they actively search out their host like human hookworm larvae do? Because that would put quarantine in a whole new light if we confirmed that it isn't just picking up infectious elements by feeder insects rubbing against the poop. Human hookworms can travel (and climb!) four feet looking for their host. And our cages are....four feet tall. Kind of makes me want to know if we are blissfully unaware of what may be going on inside our cages.

Back
Top Bottom