New pics of k. oxyrhina

melrito

Took these pics today of the pair... check out the purple highlights on the girl - they were even more amazing than the photos show! Unfortunately, the male was not impressed with her and it was another unsuccessful breeding attempt (cloudly rainy weather is not helping, of course).

Attachments

• P1030249 (600x449).jpg
    P1030249 (600x449).jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 272
  • P1030257 (600x517).jpg
    P1030257 (600x517).jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 263
  • P1030264 (600x457).jpg
    P1030264 (600x457).jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 330
  • P1030268 (600x529).jpg
    P1030268 (600x529).jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 276
What a beauty she is!!!!:eek: Im sure they will breed for you at some point. Lets just hope you dont have to wait until next summer!!

Im wondering if a metal halide (sp?) or other really strong type of light might trigger them to breed if in fact they will only breed in intense light situations.

wow! she looks amazing! I wish I would have waited and just bought your female and kept my male lol, Im jealous now:)
I would also suggest doing what Jared has suggested. Maybe show the male his reflection first also? Have you contacted anyone in europe on how they got their pairs to breed?

Thanks for the ideas.... I'll try everything :) If you know of a good forum in Europe where I might have luck finding someone with experience with this species, let me know, otherwise I'll see what I can find (I also speak German, so both English or German forums are fine).

Wow great to see! Thanks for posting.

Have you looked into weathering your pair? Provide a 2-3 month winter stage to stimulate breeding behavior from your pair. It is kind of a nerve racking procedure however it has worked for breeding other East African chameleons.

Have you looked into weathering your pair? Provide a 2-3 month winter stage to stimulate breeding behavior from your pair. It is kind of a nerve racking procedure however it has worked for breeding other East African chameleons.

How did you do the winter simulation for your East African chameleons? I have read some information on cycling with variations in misting/feedings and lighting times, but I'd be interested in learning what you did...

good idea, I'll check into that...

I would try this method. Kinyongia are big with natural light! Over the years I have used simulated natural light forms with great success in keeping them. I have used everything from High pressure sodium bulbs, Power compacts, T5, to DE MH lamps. They work great, just don't forget to use the UV guard on the Metal Halides, it releases way to many and can cause issues. Despite the ugly orange/yellow color the the high pressure sodium bulbs, I found the most success there.

On a side note, it's the purples I love the most on oxy's. Let me know when you have a successful breeding, it would be awesome to work with them again. I had them years ago and was never able to actually get them to breed, they both died due to an ongoing infection they came in with. :(

You speak German ? I have the only available breeding article about this species and its in German ;) Send me your email address and I'll mail it

I had them years ago and was never able to actually get them to breed, they both died due to an ongoing infection they came in with. :(

Sorry to hear that, they are really great to work with - definitely my favorites. Hopefully the breedings were successful and I'll see some eggs in a few weeks to month... then it will be the long wait ;-)

New pics

Here are some pics I took yesterday of the pair. It's been a month since they bred, so I'm hoping in a couple weeks to a month to see some indication that she's ready to lay... she does appear to be getting larger, but she also has been eating well and putting on weight since I got her, so it's hard to tell.

Attachments

• P1010305 (600x449).jpg
    P1010305 (600x449).jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 230
  • P1010307 (600x449).jpg
    P1010307 (600x449).jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 215
Here are some pics I took yesterday of the pair. It's been a month since they bred, so I'm hoping in a couple weeks to a month to see some indication that she's ready to lay... she does appear to be getting larger, but she also has been eating well and putting on weight since I got her, so it's hard to tell.

She does appear gravid.

Back
Top Bottom