new panther

katkat669

hey im a new chameleon owner. I just recently purchased a panther chameleon, he is 3 months old. I built a cage for him, the dimensions are
1' x 2' x 2'. Is this a big enough cage or do i need to go bigger or smaller. Also he is not receptive to hand feeding or cup feeding but he will not go to the bottom of the cage to get the crickets i put in there and the crickets wont stay in the cup or on the leaves. I would appreciate your suggestions and help. thank you. :)

1' x 2' x 2'. Is this a big enough cage or do i need to go bigger or smaller.
I assume this is a screened enclosure 2' high? If so, it will do fine for a baby panther chameleon. However, your new little friend will grow quickly and it will not be long before he needs a cage at least twice that size.

Also he is not receptive to hand feeding or cup feeding but he will not go to the bottom of the cage to get the crickets
You will need to experiment more with the cup feeding. Not every cham will behave the same. What size crickets are you offering? Could you describe the inside of your enclosure (plants?, vines?, etc). Is he drinking?

the crickets are pin head crickets 1/8 ". he is drinking fine, i have a home made drip system and he drinks from it and also pretty much every time i mist the cage. i am just worried about his eating habits. he has only eaten 3 worms since i got him and i have had him for 5 days. suggestions welcome.

:confused: :(
as for the inside of his enclosure: it is 1' deep x 2' wide x 2' high, and yes it is screened. i have many vines and some ivy in the upper portion, and i have a small plant aproxx. 12" in the bottom. i attached a feeding cup to the side.

my avatar is a pic of him

Last edited:
Part of the problem could be that he is still adjusting to his new environment. The best thing I can suggest is to experiment. If there are extra feeders at the end of the day you can remove them until you figure out something that works. Different cup materials, locations, and sizes are things to experiment with.

I have had these problems with new chams too. My panther Ezhno rarely eats directly from a cup. What I do when cup feeding him is put a small plant stem with leaves in the cup. The crickets usually reach the top of the cup one by one, and are eaten before having a chance to jump off. Recently though, the crickets are usually eaten from my hand before I can get them in the cup :eek:

You may want to try silkworms. They will stay on the plant leaves and stems and move slowly. You could start harvesting eggs from the worms that grow too big for your cham.

Other people may have some good feeding suggestions as well.

Back
Top Bottom