New Owner

Kharn

Hello

I'd like to start off by stating what the title itself states, that I am new to Chameleons, however I am in the process of setting up a terrarium for one, I live in Indonesia and the Terrarium is being setup outside my house on a porch where it does NOT get any direct sunlight.

THE TERRARIUM
The terrarium is custom made glass tank open topped it stands at 48"L x 18"W x 36"H (so its quite tall and long but a bit slim).
CgkRti1l.jpg

LAYOUT
I have an idea of what I would like to do but am seeking input from those on here about my ideas.
Sovd0q4l.jpg

I'm going with a fairly strictly Exo Terra setup which is mostly just plants & vines....

However what I am also doing is placing vertical bamboo poles in the terrarium which are positioned in each rear & front corner in front of the 3D background but behind hanging plants, to further hide the bamboo vertical poles they will be wrapped in vine, the idea is to give off a look of each corner just being hanging plants and the vine holding onto something in that bush.

FEEDING
There is a plateau in the middle of the tank (22.5cm from the rear & front & 60cm from both sides, so smack in the center). This plateau is going to be used for a place that holds food whether it a slow release of crickets through the use of the Exo Terra Termite Hill or the Worm Dish, seeing that I don't see 2 being used at the same time I don't see a reason to make 2 plateaus.

Luckily their are crickets EVERYWHERE where I live and because of where I live I very much feel like they are completely safe and not tainted with poisons, I live in a jungle secluded area where I cannot see my neighbors and the closest shops are a good drive away...

WATERING
I'm tackling this by making two DIY devices...
- DIY Fogger: Using a Humidifier & PVC fittings & pipe.
- DIY Sprayer: Using poly pipe, irrigation sprayers & a large aquarium pump on timer.

Hard to see in the photo up top but the terrarium does have 3x1inch drain holes in its based spaced evenly apart, one in the middle then either side evenly, plan is for these 3 drain holes to be linked together by piping underneath the terrarium when its on the stand which will transport this excess water to a bucket beside the stand.

HUMIDITY & TEMPERATURE
The humidity will be taken care of by the DIY water systems & the ambient temperature should be fine as well but for monitoring...
- Analog Hygrometer
- Analog Thermometer

LIGHTING
This is what I am most concerned about but please bare in mind that the lighting is only for the chameleon there are no live plants but so far this is the plan...
- 1x Intense Basking Spot (100W).
- 1x Extreme UVB Compact (26w).
NUULR1Nl.jpg

Both of the above are going to be in 7" dome reflectors, I'm aware that the chameleon is a complete tree dweller so a heat mat beneath the tank isn't really much point...but I am not sure if this is overkill or underkill for the Chameleon?

OXYGEN
Since the terrarium is glass & has no air holes besides its open top and drain holes in the base I was thinking of utilizing a fan on a timer spread out throughout the day and for only short periods to basically "turn the air over" so maybe a 30sec run period spread out over 6 intervals (3mins total every24hrs) to simple get new air in and any old air out.

SUPPLEMENTS
From what I have been reading about I have broken it down to these 2 vital supplements...
- Calcium + D3 Powder
- Multivitamin Powder

I think that covers it all....in the end I would just like to see my chosen chameleon phat happy and full of life, I know their not a handsy animal but I am more handsy with a camera and have done good work in the past with other animals & photography / filming.

P.S. - I have thought about a sort of recirculating system where the drain plumbing in the terrariums base is hooked up to the water reservoir that the pump sits in to pump water up through the irrigation spray system back into the tank there by maintaining a cycle...
BEIK6Jel.jpg

But my friend tells me this is a bad idea due to the toxic waste the reptile will produce and thus be circulated through that water as well.

Anyway I think that covers everything :D glad to be apart of this forum and hope to become a new long time member!

Cheers
Kharn

Bump

Anyone, any help, any pointers or ideas, I have read many threads on here so far my single biggest concern lay in Lighting there are so many conflicting articles and reads...

My terrarium is situated outside on a porch in Indonesia, the climate is always very humid and very hot, the terrarium should not get any direct sun light and as I have read from others and in articles, UV won't pass through glass or very little will anyway, but the terrarium is outside in a well lit area that gets no direct sunlight if that makes sense...

Also I've invested in a Mistking for water dispersion, unhappy with my home DIY job because the water comes out far too large for my liking more like a hard down pour then a mist also purchased a rack of clip on PC fans (5 in a row) that will stretch nearly the full 18" side, since the only ventilation in my terrarium comes from the top the rack of 5 fans should hopefully keep the air fresh within the terrarium constantly.
haWTBell.jpg

I'm also considering dropping good coin on a nice long (3-3.5ft) and tall (2-2.5ft) Ficus Benjamin Bonsai Forest for my chameleon to climb on and live within from the reading I have done on here Ficus Benjamin looks safe and from the pics I have seen of the plants as a bonsai they look quite strong (as in branches) that could easily support a chameleon.
U8vHG76l.jpg

Please any suggestions hints or ideas to help me get a foot in :D ?

Cheers
Kharn

Welcome to the forums! What kind of chameleon are you getting? I'm sorry if I missed that in your post. This is how I have successfully kept veiled and panthers for years.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html
More good chameleon info here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

Thanks for the links I have read a bit on the... https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

I'm hoping to be getting a Panther Chameleon and I live in Indonesia where the average Climate is as follows...

TEMPERATURE: 71.6 low – 89.6 High
HUMIDITY: 75% - 80%
RAINFALL: 1/2 yr

Right now my biggest concern is Terrarium position + lighting because the enclosure isn't indoors per say it's on a porch outside but with a roof over it & no direct sunlight beaming into it, however it is in a well sunlit area that is not dark during the day.

Back
Top Bottom