New owner, humidity questions!

Zakmillard

Hey, so I'm sure you get asked this loads but a little help would be greatly appreciated! We are new to chameleons and have a mesh home for our juvenile veiled but we are struggerling to keep the humidity up enough! Any advice on good misting systems, misting or fogging? How often etc? The humidity is sitting at about 30% at the minute so we are spraying manually every few hours. Also is just a misting system OK or should we have a misting system and a dripper for him to drink from? Thanks in advance!

Hi there and welcome. 30% is actually ok for daytime humidity then it can be up to 100% at night when lights are off and temps are lowest. Veileds need it between 30-50% max during the day. I have a mistking system and love it. You can get a fogger to run at night. I have heard good things about this fogger and it is a top fill which makes it easier. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V39ZYJB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vplXDb9GMSZDZ
For accurate and complete info on husbandry you can find info on https://chameleonacademy.com/
If you have questions let us know. :)

Humidity should sit at 30-50% during the day, 80-100% at night.

I use mistking for my misting system. Best investment you will ever make in this hobby. You must use RO or distilled water with any automatic misting or fogging system.

For a fogging system I cant name any specific brands, but be sure you get one with a top fill with decent reviews. They are easy to come by on amazon.

Drippers arent required but highly recommended. You can just poke a tiny hole in the bottom of a container or water bottle. It should drip at a rate of 1-2 drips per second. Be sure there is a plant or container to catch the drips or you will have a puddle.

I see you are brand new, so if you could fill out this form that'd be great! Just to make sure there isnt any issues with your setup :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Adding to what has already been said, wrapping 2-3 sides of your enclosure with a shower curtain will help maintain humidity, as will live plants. Preferably you should have only live plants anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom