New member! Critique my setup - Pics&Video

dragonjane13

Hello,
This is Jane. My second attempt at a veiled chameleon and recent relapse back into the herp world after 7 years of being clean:confused: - back in HS, I was an avid ball python keeper/breeder/enthusiast but dabbled in all sorts of other herps. In 2008, mistakenly ordered a baby veiled through the mail while it was still cold where I lived... long story short the baby was far to young to be shipped that way and arrived with respiratory issues which eventually led to its inevitable death just 2 weeks later, multiple vet visits and all. Needless to say that experience left me hypersensitive to this girls needs so please rate my setup! I'm fairly pleased with it as of now until I upgrade with a MistKing sometime closer to July. I plan to attend the Denver Repticon Expo two weeks from now but I doubt theres a vendor with MistKing systems there, but I'll be looking regardless!

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon – Female veiled, guessing close to 6 months but I don’t know, picked her up Jan 1st 2018 from local owned store. I have a proper scale to weigh her, just haven’t done it yet.
  • Handling – Rarely, usually just for cage cleaning/maintenance, she gets placed on a houseplant to watch me while I work
  • Feeding – Just medium to larger crickets for now until I can order more variety online once winter ends. Lightly dusted with calcium w/o D3 almost every feeding unless she has the Tony Montana nose thing which I guess is excess minerals n stuff. She eats about 5-10 a day which get placed in her cup feeder each morning. The crickets are kept in-house and fed Fluker’s high calcium cricket diet along with the calcium fortified cricket quencher, and I also toss in collard greens, carrots, and orange slices.
  • Supplements – ZooMed calcium w/o D3 almost daily, ZooMed Reptivite about once a month
  • Watering – I use hand mistering ATM as I am home regularly to monitor humidity and such. “little dripper” currently in use which I’ve witnessed her drink from regularly, even with me standing around her. I hate using the damn thing but it's working and doing its job
  • Fecal Description – Liquidy white urates before a slimy big turd. No, not tests from my knowledge.
  • History – Not sure it's accurate but the seller told me she was a gladiator cham who fought and murdered her way up in the ranks before being awarded the honor of adoption. could be BS though idk

Cage Info:

• Cage Type – Large ReptiBreese 18x18x36 with a corrugated plastic backing on one side to aid with humidity and prevent water misting through on to my light cables/swtiches
  • Lighting – 22” ZooMed T5 High-Output 24w linear UVB light in reflective hood + 60w clear incandescent bulb in wide insulated dome fixture, 12-hour timer schedule
  • Temperature – about 68F on bottom with basking spot reaching 88-90F. Lowest night temp is 65F but usually stays closer to 70F. Acurite digital probe thermometer/hygrometer + backup analog combo for measuring temps
  • Humidity – No lower than 40% before hand-misting is applied to keep it closer to 60%. Digital and analog hygrometers for measuring. I also use a small cool mist ultrasonic humidifier on a timer set at 30 minute intervals every few hours in the event I am gone for longer than normal
  • Plants – 3 live plants (pothos, dracaena, scheffela) with tons of fake/silk plants for security and because I love it. Organic Fox Farms soil with large river stones covering soil (she likes to eat substrate unfortunately)
  • Placement – corner of bedroom, low traffic, no fans so I use an air purifier to move air throughout the day in there. Top of cage is at about 6 feet off ground, basking spot is eye-level with me
  • Location – Midwest USA... very dry air during winter :mad:

PICTURES + VIDEO

Looks good for the most part! The one big thing I noticed was that you don't list calcium with D3 in your supplements. Make sure you are using a phosphorous-free clacium powder with vitamin D3 twice a month in addition to what you are already doing.

As for the enclosure, I would consider adding at least one (though the more the merrier) horizontal perch that goes all the way from one side of the cage to the other, placed centrally in the enclosure.

Oh and what are you keeping in that exoterra? That question's just outta my own nosiness :D

Yes, I have already ordered some RepCal calcium w/ D3 to add in the diet. I'll also begrudgingly be providing a lay bin at the bottom right corner in the coming months. I've tried to make a couple horizontal sections using the multiple vines I have, maybe the images make it hard to tell but I'll try to add anything else I can find provided it fits. It's already a pain to mist everything with all those obstacles I've made!

Oh and what are you keeping in that exoterra? That question's just outta my own nosiness :D
There's a crested gecko in there;)

Back
Top Bottom