New light....2 bright?

ronnie

here is a pic of Trixxi's new basking light........it is 100w,she seems a little startled at how bright it is is that usual???

here is a pic of Trixxi's new basking light........it is 100w,she seems a little startled at how bright it is is that usual???

somtimes they take a while to get use to it, leave it on for a little bit but if she is still hiding from it then turn it off, it could be damaging her eyes

Only one picture showed up, along with a box with a red "X", did you post 2? What are you housing in there? If its a chameleon your gonna need more vines and plants. I would almost guarentee that a 100 watt anything is going to be overkill and way too hot.

-Jay

Only one picture showed up, along with a box with a red "X", did you post 2? What are you housing in there? If its a chameleon your gonna need more vines and plants. I would almost guarentee that a 100 watt anything is going to be overkill and way too hot.

-Jay

yes what are the temps?

Why?how hot should it be?....sorry about the pic's!still getting used to uploading them! i am addressing the plants and vines issue.........when i first got her she had no real plants or vines!she now has a creeping fig ans 2 vines....

Why?how hot should it be?....sorry about the pic's!still getting used to uploading them! i am addressing the plants and vines issue.........when i first got her she had no real plants or vines!she now has a creeping fig ans 2 vines....

Well, first you need to put a thermometer in her actual basking area for accurate readings. Then she needs a way to access the basking area. The total lack of vines, plants, and branches, doesnt give her much access except for the sides of the cage. I would really try to actually fill out the middle of the habitat if I were you, it is very very sparse looking for a tree dwelling creature.

Do you know how hot it should be? Have you read any resources?
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/temperatures-and-thermoregulation.html

https://www.chameleonforums.com/general-care-true-chameleons-5943/

I have a 50w in my 2x2x4 and it tends to get pretty hot at times, I would assume a 100watt in a small glass unit like that would be literally baking.

still testing out the temps as the new light has only been on foe the last 20 min or so..........will post new temp ASAP.......how long should the bulb be on to get a proper reading?

I dunno, depends on your bulb, your ambient temp and everything. Keep an eye on it all day until you find the sweet spot.
Honestly, I think 100 watts will be way too hot.

You still should put a thermometer in her closest access point to the light to get an accurate reading.

From 3 inches away the light might be 120 degrees, from 6 it might be 80, and from 10 inches it could be 75 degrees. What I am trying to say is that, you can't get an accurate basking temp reading without putting a thermometer in the basking spot.

I would really address that plant issue eventually. You could put that ficus in the middle, and try to put some lateral branches around it, until you get more plants. I don't see why it's set off to the side.

Edit: A small upside down tub or plant stand would work wonders for boosting it up.

thank cambabysitter1....after reading the link u sent...she had no basking spot when i get her!the temp in the viv ranged from 62 at night and raised over the day to 82(the hottest spot in the viv)i know this is not hot enough for her!as she manly stays under her uvb light most of the day!again i am trying to address the lack of plants etc.....don't want to put in too much too soon and freak her out!!

thank cambabysitter1....after reading the link u sent...she had no basking spot when i get her!the temp in the viv ranged from 62 at night and raised over the day to 82(the hottest spot in the viv)i know this is not hot enough for her!as she manly stays under her uvb light most of the day!again i am trying to address the lack of plants etc.....don't want to put in too much too soon and freak her out!!

Won't freak her out, it'll make her pretty happy. I can almost guarantee it.

I noticed you were in Ireland, don't forget to convert to Celsius. I know I would.
http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

Once the temp gets normalized, you will see her spending a lot of time under the basking light. Great job on trying to get it right. I can't offer a ton of first hand experience, but I can help you with a few things :cool:

well her basking light is 2 feet from bulb to highest basking spot still want to wait a while to get a accurate temp reading..........thanks for all the tips...........so want to get this right for my girl!

Last edited:
well her basking light is 2 feet from bulb to highest basking spot still want to wait a while to get a accurate temp reading..........thanks for all the tips...........so want to get this right for my girl!

yes you should, get more pics up for us, and get more plants in there, now! that is how ergent this is!!!!

now your scaring me!why so urgent?remember this cham before i got her had NO real plants....NO vines....zilch....nothing....i am trying to do my best here....reading up etc.....i'm hearing so many different things from different people....the guy who sold me the basking blub runs a reptile shop and sold it to me after i showed him pic's of my set up and Cham and gave him every bit of info i have about Trixxi!

now your scaring me!why so urgent?remember this cham before i got her had NO real plants....NO vines....zilch....nothing....i am trying to do my best here....reading up etc.....i'm hearing so many different things from different people....the guy who sold me the basking blub runs a reptile shop and sold it to me after i showed him pic's of my set up and Cham and gave him every bit of info i have about Trixxi!

Pet shop employees tend to offer shakey advice in general. I would research more through reading than word of mouth from a pet store guy.

Like I said, the 100 watt is going to be too hot probably.

Did you put a thermometer in the right spot yet? Burns can be a serious thing.

Put your hand in the highest point that she can climb. Does it feel too hot?

Are plants not available in your area?

yes.....plants are available here!i have a digital thermometer at the highest point that she can reach(now reading 83.8) and it doesn't feel overly hot at all!it just seems very bright! p.s....the pet store guy also breeds chams!so should know what he's talking about........but again thanks for all the help..........going to go out tomorrow and buy a forest!!

sorry..can't get the pic's up(see new:New light...2 bright?new pictures.)...sorry again!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom