New Jackson owner

Harland Williams

Hi I've been lookng through the forums here for about 5 to 6 months among other sites and decided to buy a chameleon.Any tips,info or advice of any kind would be greatly appreciated.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Jackson,Male,around 3 months old.It's been in the cage
since yesterday around 5pm EST.
* Handling - I haven't handled him since I put him the cage.
* Feeding - feeding him Crickets,I Fed him after I put him in the cage
yesterday and he ate 4.I put in some watermelon,potatoes,
Cantaloupe,carrots and a wet sponge in with the crickets.
They are housed in a cricket keeper.plan on getting some cricket
crack.
* Supplements - I bought some rep cal Herptivite and some rep cal calcium
with VIT.D3 haven't dusted anything yet.
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use?I'm using a cup
with a pin prick hole in the bottom for a dripper and mist when humidity is
below 60's mid 50's.About a min. or so just long Enough to get the
humidity up and wet the plant.He is drinking.
* Fecal Description - One dropping that I can see is brown.
* History - Bought him from a pet shop.They just got him in and he is
captive bred.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Screan cage 12x18x20 made by zilla recomended by
screameleons.
* Lighting - 5.5" heat dome with 60w zoo med daylight heat bulb,Zoo Med
Reptisun Terrarium Hood 20" with zoo med 18" Reptisun 5.0 UVB bulb.I
have everything hooked up to a timer so it comes on a 7 and goes off at 7.
* Temperature - Using a Zoo Med Digital Terrarium Thermometer it is 74 at
the bottom and 84 at the basking spot.House stays at around 76 at all
times.
* Humidity - In the 70's using a mister to keep them at that level and Zoo
Med Humidity Gauge.
* Plants - schefflera
* Placement - In my room about 30" from my Ceiling.
* Location - Lakeland,FL

Sorry if the way I put this together may seem messed up but I tried to make it look nice but wanted to get this up here as fast as I could.Also my little camera is dead so I'll post pics as soon as I can.

So far your ok. Get some calcium w/o d3! Dust with d3 twice a month. Calcium w/o d3 every other day. Ive read jacksons dont need much supplements so u might not need much of the multi vitamins. I use it every now and then. Might want more input. As far as your uvb look into getting a reptisun 5.0 linear bulb. Hope this helps.

Get some flukers water gel too. that sponge will eventually start to collect bacteria. Most do the multi vitamin twice a month as well. The fun part comes when u start experimenting with different feeders. Just started with super worms which send to be the only worm he likes so far mealworms hee completely ignores and hornworms he kinda gave up on. Gonna get some bb flies and dubias soon.

Yeah a new Jackson's owner!!!!! I have a male that I've had now for a year and a half and he's awesome!!!

So far it sounds like you've done your research and doing everything right. Just so you know...Jackson's love water...and can get dehydrated very easily. Make sure you water your Jackson's on his body and the plants for at least 5-10 min a day. Mine will drink right out of his spray bottle.

Also, do be careful about over supplementation...I only dust every other day with calcium and rarely use vitamins..I use D3 once or twice a month.

Now, that being said Enjoy your new baby and post lots of pics!!!! :):):):):)

OMG! Congrats on the Jacksons! I plan on getting Mt. Kenyan Jacksons Chameleons this fall :) male and female and JaxyGirl (sorry if i butchered your name) lol is very kind and helpful when needing help with Jacskons :)

OMG! Congrats on the Jacksons! I plan on getting Mt. Kenyan Jacksons Chameleons this fall :) male and female and JaxyGirl (sorry if i butchered your name) lol is very kind and helpful when needing help with Jacskons :)

Awe..Shucks!!! Thanks for the kind words...LOL! I can't wait till you get your's also. I want to get a nice female soon...but need to get a new set-up...one of these days..I hope :):):):):)

Back
Top Bottom