New here & R. brevicaudatus housing Q

cassiescritters

Hiya guys :)
I just joined tonight but have had my eye on these guys for, lets see, about 8 years or so? Ever since I saw them at LLLreptile.

Anywho... I'm doing a huge tank renovation (fishtanks, a leopard gecko... more fish, shrimp... lol) and I will have a 65g tank to use (was my favorite fish tank but a move cracked the back panel sooo no more fish)...
This tank was bought used, it's a size (and glass thickness) I hadn't seen before.
If I remember right it is 3'l, 18"d and 21"t or so aaanddd I was thinking of finally setting up a viv for these little guys.
I was wondering if this would be a dandy size for 1.2 of these guys, I've read that they can be in smaller tanks so it seems like it would be a nice size.

I kind of wanted a well filtered "pond" with some rcs (red cherry shrimp) in there and dense floating plants but I've read a couple posts about not having water in their enclosures so I guess I'll try that in something else.

Manzanita? I have a bunch of this outside right now from a friend of mine, they seem to use it a lot in aquascaping so I have a bunch...
Has anyone ever tried using Anubias in their enclosure before? It probably wouldn't work for other Cham types because they are grown aquatic/emersed so they would need high humidity. Also, would the moisture level to grow something like Riccia and/or moss (java, Taiawan, etc) in a couple areas be too much for the chams?
Like, instead of having a pond maybe I could have a tiny "mini bog" where the substrate/groundcover is more shallow so excess moisture (when there is some) makes a lil mud puddle where emersed aquatics could grow?

Oh, I was thinking of putting this tank on the bottom shelf of a "gorilla rack" next to a misc. hex I might use for plants, and if I get this used 4x65w power compact light to use for my new tank I was thinking I could use my current 2x65w pc fixture suspended under the shelf over the 65g and hex tank but unless I use high light plants towards the top that would make it shady under for the chams since they are forest floor critters. *shrug*

Ok, I've rambled enough, I'll shush now. hehe

-Cassie

I think most of the stuff you are suggesting would be better for an amphibian terrarium. The chameleon terrariums need to dry out, which won't alow any true aquatic or super high humidity plants to be viable long term.

Yeah, I'm sure it would be more fitting to something like a tree frog aside from the lighting.
If it would be a good tank size for a small group I would like to plan the tank design/layout around the chams, I can use another tank as a paludarium (I have a 15g tall that I could do that in or something) and I do try to set up enclosures based on the critter going in them.

What about the questions/comments not relating to the plants/moisture?

Thanks for replying :)

I think most of the stuff you are suggesting would be better for an amphibian terrarium. The chameleon terrariums need to dry out, which won't alow any true aquatic or super high humidity plants to be viable long term.

Back
Top Bottom