New Genus - Palleon gen. nov.

Chris Anderson

Dr. House of Chameleons
Hi All,

I hadn't seen it posted yet, so I thought I would bring to everyone's attention a new genus that was created for a primitive chameleon genus: Palleon gen. nov. This genus was created for the species formerly known as Brookesia nasus (including both subspecies: B. n. nasus and B. n. pauliani) and B. lolontany, which are now known as Palleon nasus (P. n. nasus and P. n. pauliani) and Palleon lolontany.

This genus was described in the following paper:

Glaw, F., Hawlitschek, O. and Ruthensteiner, B. 2013. A new genus name for an ancient Malagasy chameleon clade and a PDF-embedded 3D model of its skeleton. Salamandra 49 (4): 237-238.

This paper is open access and is available at the following URL: http://www.salamandra-journal.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=349&Itemid=75

The article also includes the only published color photograph of a live Palleon lolontany, as well as a 3D model of a skeleton of the same species.

Chris

And such a cute little nose. Thanks Chris for continuing to keep us all informed of the incredible hardcore wonders of our endless addictions.

Last edited:
it still makes me wonder how many of these little guys get stepped on by all creatures in their habitat!!! it makes me to sad to think about it :(

Thanks for posting this Chris.

That is a huge area between locales for such a small species!

Carl

Back
Top Bottom