New enclosure

wprazak

Im wanting to buy a new enclosure for my Jackson’s. One that has a proper drainage and possibly already decorated. The enclosure she has now is the right size it’s just I feel she deserves a better enclosure. Any recommendations on where to get one or if I should even get another one

A few commercially available enclosures have integral drainage, but many/most are up to us to add or modify. Fortunately there's a pretty good thread on this at the top of this forum:
Drainage Systems for Cages - get creative!
and aftermarket drainage pans are readily available in a variety of dimensions, materials, & features.

The drainage system I have now consists of a widow screen-type bottom sitting on top of a panel of ceiling egg crate, which is in turn supported by ribs on the drain pan. Water passes right through, while any dead leaves, poop, etc. are retained by the screen and vacuumed weekly and sanitized. The egg crate is strong enough to support & distribute the weight of several large potted plants.

1623379447762.png

I'm partial to hybrid enclosures, as the microclimate is (IME/O) much easier to control.
I'm also partial to enclosures with a 'real' frame rather than window screens screwed together with sheet metal screws (even though that's what I currently have 😔). Substantial frames are better suited to supporting lights, misting, ventilation fans (if necessary), etc. I like the concept used by Zen Habitats, whether their product or DIY with similar components.
https://www.zenhabitats.com/collect...osures/products/2x2x4-pvc-reptile-enclosure-1
https://www.zenhabitats.com/collect...losures/products/4x2x4-pvc-reptile-enclosures
These come with a solid bottom, but some have drilled holes for drainage, and others have replaced the bottom panel with screen, etc.

On Recommendations:
What kind & size of enclosure do you have now?
Is DIY an option?
Are you contemplating bioactive?

I have a diy cage. It’s window screens all around and that’s another reason I’m wanting to switch

Any recommendations on where to get one or if I should even get another one
I'm afraid that's the one question only you can answer for yourself.

I think designing & building a better DIY enclosure is a good idea, but being a retired designer, I always think that. 😁

I'm just finishing up a DIY tortoise table for my Missus, and contemplating whether I want to design & build a DIY enclosure for my chameleon or just buy a Zen Habitats & modify it, so I think I kinda get where you're coming from (or maybe not 🤷‍♂️) If I do decide to DIY, I'll use the same style of frame as Zen, and incorporate the same drainage as I have now.

Are you thinking of another all-screen, or maybe a hybrid?

Dragon strand Hybrids are excellent enclosures. They do not come decorated though this would be something you would need to do with any enclosure you get though.

Back
Top Bottom