New Enclosure...review pretty please

Yeah..I've never been a fan of the CHEs...even for my desert dwelling repies. They're just too hot and a fire risk.

I have another dome on order. So I'll get a white light for heat in the next day or two. Basking never goes over 76 as it is now. So I'll keep the same wattage as the heat bulb I currently have.

Does higher UVB stunt growth?
Sounds good.

Yes, it can slow growth. I can not find the most recent thread showing this with a clutch the breeder had but it has been tested with clutch mates having all the same setups just different UVI with Panthers as well as the most recent thread which was a different species. It was done in the last week so you may be able to find it easily. Babies kept at a higher UVI have a much slower growth rate compared to their clutch mates that are kept at the recommended 3 UVI levels

Last edited:
Sounds good.

Yes, it can slow growth. I can not find the most recent thread showing this with a clutch the breeder had but it has been tested with clutch mates having all the same setups just different UVI with Panthers as well as the most recent thread which was a different species. It was done in the last week so you may be able to find it easily. Babies kept at a higher UVI have a much slower growth rate compared to their clutch mates that are kept at the recommended 3 UVI levels
Should I not use the linear lights for hatchlings? Or just raising it more will be fine? I couldn't get that bulb and hood here for two weeks and I was so stressed I was going to end up with unhealthy babies. But now I'm question if I should put them under such a strong lamp? I'll go find that thread. Thank you for mentioning it! I already have one that is smaller than her sister...I definitely don't want to do anything to stunt her more...and she's the screen climber.

Should I not use the linear lights for hatchlings? Or just raising it more will be fine? I couldn't get that bulb and hood here for two weeks and I was so stressed I was going to end up with unhealthy babies. But now I'm question if I should put them under such a strong lamp? I'll go find that thread. Thank you for mentioning it! I already have one that is smaller than her sister...I definitely don't want to do anything to stunt her more...and she's the screen climber.
So yes you can use linear lights for hatchlings... It is all about the distance they are at for the fixture type and bulb strength. With any babies no matter the age they should be raised a certain amount off the top screen because all babies screen climb the top. I would only use linear UVB lighting with chams.

The compact bulbs only have a certain radius and depth that they penetrate without a solarmeter you will not know because there are a few different ones that are available. But these also have an extremely high output at the screen and can be very dangerous.

Mercury Vapor / 2 in 1 bulbs are also extremely dangerous producing high levels of heat and UVB. These should not ever be used with chams IMO. Thermal burns are very common if placement is not perfect and since they produce heat and UVB your not able to get as accurate of either for your cham. These should only be used on large free range set ups with a solarmeter.

So those three are the options we have and the ONLY one I recommend are linear. T8 and T5 can be used but they both need the proper bulb strength and the correct distance.

If you give me details about what you ordered I can help you with placement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom