New Chameleon Owner

glaooo32

Hey everyone! Earlier I posted looking for an Oustalet Chameleon but decided it was too difficult to obtain one. I've since found an adorable Veiled Chameleon that I am so excited to raise! As this is my first chameleon, I would just like to introduce him to the forum and maybe get some advice or tips for starting out!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male, about 4 months old (that's what the shop keeper said). It's been in my care for 3 days.
  • Handling - I've held him once when putting him into the enclosure.
  • Feeding - I fed him 6 small crickets when I got him. As for a schedule, I haven't really set that up yet since I've only had him for 3 days. Planning on ~12 crickets give or take daily (6 in day time, 6 in afternoon). I am gutloading with carrots, apples, and flukers orange.
  • Supplements - I have repticalcium w/d3, planning to drop by PetSmart to grab one without. I opted not to get vitamins because I didn't think I would need them. Can change this if it'll benefit my Veiled.
  • Watering - IIhave a reptirain system hooked up with both nozzles pointing into the enclosure spraying onto live Pothos plants. I mist 3x a day 6hrs apart for 1 minute (can increase this if need be). When i first got him I saw him drink the water droplets off leaves, but since then I haven't as he's always hiding. I aim to add a dripper for a constant drip.
  • Fecal Description - His droppings looked normal. I just read the Poop 101 on here and looks exactly like the "normal" puctures. Has not been fecal tested.
  • History - None really. The shop that I got him at kept him in a decent enclosure. I always go to this local shop to get freshwater fish as they seem to care A Lot about their animals :)

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 2.5' x 2.5' x 5' screen enclosure that I made from a closet.
  • Lighting - ZooMed Reptisun Led UVB with night light. Dome lamp with a 65w incandescent bulb. Lights are on at 0745-0800 to 2000-2030. At 2030 I swap to night light to prepare for darkness at 2100hrs.
  • Temperature - Top of enclosure is between 87-95 degrees, mid temp is between 70-85, and bottom temp is at around 70. I have not checked the lower overnight temp.
  • Humidity - Humidity levels range from 70% after misting to 55% between misting. I am thinking of getting a spray bottle to add more or shitening the intervals between misting. Basic hygrometer at mid level
  • Plants - Half live, half fake. Includes 4 Pothos pots (3 hanging, 1 tower), 1 Croton, 1 money tree (Im using this as I read on joshes frogs it was safe). I am looking to add a fern type of plant possibly.
  • Placement - Enclosure is located by the South facing window in our living room, theres a heater near the bottom of the enclosure but I am the kind of person who hates turning up the heat. Too Top of enclosure is approximately 6 feet from the ground. I live in an apartment.
  • Location - Vancouver, BC

Current Problem - I know that my Veiled will need some time to adjust to it's enclosure but I was wondering if there's anything I can do to help it along the way and make this transition as seamless as possible. I've only had him for 3 days and he only eaten the first day he arrived. Any advice, tips, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

This only picture I could take at the moment. I think he's a little dehydrated so I'm hoping that adding a dripper might help.

IMG_20180424_182426.jpg

This is a picture of his enclosure. Tell me what you think and if I should change anything. :)

IMG_20180405_210435.jpg

I appreciate all the help! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180424_182426.jpg
    IMG_20180424_182426.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20180405_210435.jpg
    IMG_20180405_210435.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 49
Your enclosure is wonderfully prepared. Lots of climbing space. Wow, its really big, too! I think it will be best if you just give him some space. Make sure you keep an eye on his eating and drinking habits just to make sure he is getting the hang of things ;) Other than that I think you are doing great. In the first picture, is he sleeping or is that during the day?
Also, I would make sure he can't see his own reflection in that window/mirror next to the cage. That will stress him out if he thinks another chameleon is threatening his territory.
For the gutloading, I would take out the carrots on account of the fact they aren't needed. The apples may be a bit high in sugar. The ideal ingredients to gutload with are greens such as dandelion greens and kale. Here is a list I made if you want some more ideas: Gutloading Ingredients

Back
Top Bottom