New chameleon not eating and not basking

ant0nina:)

I got my new panther chameleon , Draco, yesterday evening. He explored a bit then went to sleep, i’ve tried to offer him food both last night and a couple times this morning and he’s not interested at all, he’s also choosing to sit on a branch towards the bottom half of the viv where the temp is only around 69 degrees f. Is this normal?

Some say dont offer food for the first 48 hours.

Some of us break that rule if the cham looks perky...

My record is 72 hours before they eat from the cup.

Depending on the cage setup, you offer a food "tub" that is 4-6" deep and a few feeders crawling around, and some branches over top. At least that way you an track food.

Some say dont offer food for the first 48 hours.

Some of us break that rule if the cham looks perky...

My record is 72 hours before they eat from the cup.

Depending on the cage setup, you offer a food "tub" that is 4-6" deep and a few feeders crawling around, and some branches over top. At least that way you an track food.

I have got a plastic container ready so i will try that later, there are some crickets really near him but he’s not taking interest , i will leave them in there and try a tub tomorrow , thank you!

How old is your chameleon?
What size insects are you offering him?
What's the temperature in the basking area?
Please post a photo of him and one of the cage.

How old is your chameleon?
What size insects are you offering him?
What's the temperature in the basking area?
Please post a photo of him and one of the cage.
He’s around 3 months old , basking temps are around 28 celsius , i’m offering him medium crickets but getting bigger ones tomorrow , i’ll attach a photo of him and the viv :) DAE15987-31E1-48F4-BFC7-7335FB1FE0D2.jpeg

Attachments

• 1C243224-4614-467B-95DE-ADF08EA5A2F9.jpeg
    1C243224-4614-467B-95DE-ADF08EA5A2F9.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 82
He’s around 3 months old , basking temps are around 28 celsius , i’m offering him medium crickets but getting bigger ones tomorrow , i’ll attach a photo of him and the viv :)View attachment 280798
If he is only 3 months old you do not want bigger crickets. Feeder size has to be appropriate to their age. At 3 months old I feed 1/4 inch or small sized feeders.

with the enclosure you will want to remove the container of water at the bottom and the hammocks. The hammocks are dangerous for chams because they get their nails caught up in them and they can grow bacteria.

This would be a good resource for your to read through. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

IMO that chameleon does not look 3 months old... Closer to 7-8 months based on size and coloration.

If he is only 3 months old you do not want bigger crickets. Feeder size has to be appropriate to their age. At 3 months old I feed 1/4 inch or small sized feeders.

with the enclosure you will want to remove the container of water at the bottom and the hammocks. The hammocks are dangerous for chams because they get their nails caught up in them and they can grow bacteria.

This would be a good resource for your to read through. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
the bowl was there to collect water from the dripper, and thank you i will replace the hammocks with branches

Back
Top Bottom