1EEBB10B-1C0B-4273-9447-A29F4B1FF970.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 51E90616-A914-47F3-ACFF-A628ADBEF480.jpeg
    51E90616-A914-47F3-ACFF-A628ADBEF480.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 90
  • C36A4F36-D44F-4391-B4AD-D4288518A2CA.jpeg
    C36A4F36-D44F-4391-B4AD-D4288518A2CA.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 83
Thank you my Dad is going to help me build an enclosure I’m new to chameleons my son had one and he got sick it broke my heart so I’m trying to do everything right is the husbandry good the are all live plants?

Thank you my Dad is going to help me build an enclosure I’m new to chameleons my son had one and he got sick it broke my heart so I’m trying to do everything right is the husbandry good the are all live plants?
If you’d like, you can answer the following questions and get all of your husbandry reviewed...make sure everything is perfect for your sweet Dallas. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I believe He’s male not sure on age I’ve had him a couple week. He’s a veiled chameleon. I try not to handle him much he doesn’t like to be taken out of cage he turns dark colors but once he’s out on my hand he calms down I guess he goes back green. So far he won’t eat worms I’ve tried he loves crickets I feed him 5 small 2 times a day I bought Josh’s frog cricket cuisine and calcium infused insect watering gel for the crickets I also dust them in Arcadia reptile earth pro a I have a mist king but not sure how to setup so I just mist 3 times a day before light on at mid day and after lights off about 4 mins each time I make sure all plants are dripping and I fog 2 times a day before lights on for 30 minutes and after lights off 30 minutes also I made a dripper i notice him licking leaves dropings are long black with white sac no he hasn’t been tested for parasites that I know I got him from petco .
cage is screen I believe it’s 36” in height I’m going to build a bigger one he’s just so small I thought I’d let him get a little bigger lighting zoomed t8 ub linear hood and ceramic heating lamp lights turn on @ 8:30 am and off @ 8:30 pm temp in basking spot usually 98 cage floor 73 overnight usually 75 I have a temperature gun. Not sure about humidity level I don’t have anything for that I have live plants pathos vine on top and bottom of enclosure a Purple Heart Jew and a tree I cant remember type but when I googled it it is supposed to be safe for chameleon cage is near window not near vents or fan and there is not a lot of traffic i live in Euless Texas in middle of Dallas and Fort Worth

I’ll put my feedback in red. Do have some questions.
I believe He’s male not sure on age I’ve had him a couple week. Males have pronounced spurs on their back feet...little nubs. I can’t tell age, but he is young. He’s a veiled chameleon. I try not to handle him much he doesn’t like to be taken out of cage he turns dark colors but once he’s out on my hand he calms down I guess he goes back green. This is a great blog on building trust. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/ So far he won’t eat worms I’ve tried he loves crickets I feed him 5 small 2 times a day For his seeming age, twice a day is fine, but you’ll need to increase the amount. I would guess he’s young enough to eat as much as he wants in a 15 minute period. I bought Josh’s frog cricket cuisine and calcium infused insect watering gel for the crickets I’ll attach feeder and gutload sheets for you. Chameleons do like variety and the healthier the bugs are, the more nutritious they’ll be. Just make sure whatever you feed him is smaller than the space between his eyes. I also dust them in Arcadia reptile earth pro a This is good, but you’ll also need to add Arcadia RevitaliseD3 and Arcadia Cal-mag. Adding the suggested schedule for these (borrowed from Dragon Strand site). I have a mist king but not sure how to setup It can be a bit tricky but is so very awesome once it’s up and running. so I just mist 3 times a day before light on at mid day and after lights off about 4 mins each time I make sure all plants are dripping Awesome and I fog 2 times a day before lights on for 30 minutes and after lights off 30 minutes It would be a bit better to set your fogger on a timer to run for a few hours in the middle of the night also I made a dripper i notice him licking leaves dropings are long black with white sac no he hasn’t been tested for parasites that I know I got him from petco . The white sac is his urine, called urate. White is good. Dark orange or all orange means not enough hydration. A little bit of orange is ok.
cage is screen I believe it’s 36” in height I’m going to build a bigger one he’s just so small I thought I’d let him get a little bigger lighting zoomed t8 ub linear hood What is the strength of your uvb bulb? What is the distance from basking area to light? Uvb is very important to have correct. and ceramic heating lamp lights turn on @ 8:30 am and off @ 8:30 pm temp in basking spot usually 98 This is wayyy too hot! Needs to come down to about 80. cage floor 73 overnight usually 75 At night a decent temp drop is suggested and veileds can handle temps as low as the 50’s/60’s. I have a temperature gun. Temp guns are great, but only measure surfaces. You also want to measure air and a digital thermometer with a probe end is the best way to do this. Not sure about humidity level I don’t have anything for that It’s important to know your humidity. High humidity+high heat = respiratory infection risk. Ideal range is between 30-50%. Hygrometers aren’t expensive and are essential to have. I have live plants pathos vine on top and bottom of enclosure a Purple Heart Jew and a tree I cant remember type but when I googled it it is supposed to be safe for chameleon From what I can tell, your plants do look to be safe ones. Thank goodness you don’t have any fake one! I do notice you have what looks to be a root pouch. Do you have any isopods or springtails in it? If not, add some and they’ll help keep the soil clean. Make sure you do have a good drainage system. cage is near window not near vents or fan and there is not a lot of traffic i live in Euless Texas in middle of Dallas and Fort Worth
So, you’re in pretty good shape and just need to make a few changes. Do answer about your uvb light though as I said it is important to have correct. A great site to learn is
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ Also, if you check out Neptune the chameleon, you’ll find lots of great info, including I believe one on setting up a mist king. (I’m pretty sure she did one on that but not positive) Of course, feel free to ask as many questions or share all that you like with the forum. Very glad to have you and Dallas here! 😊
4FD24D78-26E7-49A7-BECF-D04E89FCB404.jpeg
709E9C75-8997-4435-8B4F-37BABA9846B1.jpeg

DE5B0AD5-AFC5-473A-8EA8-0BCE5E0DC989.jpeg

Ok thank you I’ll work on everything you said not to sound stupid but what is a drainage system
How are you managing all of the excess water going into your enclosure?
5.0 uvb 18” reptisun 457 mm
I’d suggest getting a T5 ho fixture with a 5% or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. Then you’d want your basking area about 8” below. Right now a T8 with a 5.0 bulb at a distance of about 17” from basking area isn’t really providing any decent uvb levels.

Back
Top Bottom