New Baby Blues

It’s around 60 right now. Not that we keep it that cold, but our heater currently isn’t working. So I turned a portable on and am doing extra misting to compensate.
Keep in mind that daytime humidity should be between 30-50%. Too high isn't good for the daytime. At night, however, it can jump up to 100%.

It’s around 60 right now. Not that we keep it that cold, but our heater currently isn’t working. So I turned a portable on and am doing extra misting to compensate.
So here is the thing though is that your house temp or is that your basking temp? And when I say basking temp I mean right below the heat fixture at the closest branch. Here is where you need a wired probe gauge to know exact temp there. The enclosure will be warmer with the lights. Like @AmandaS said you do not want higher humidity for Veileds during the day. The sweet spot is 30-40% maxing out at 50%. But consistently spraying is not something you want to do.

No questions are dumb questions. I'll post an Amazon link.
30% humidity is surprisingly dry.

I mist once in the morning (before lights on) for 3-4 minutes, and once in the evening (after lights off) for 3-4 minutes. I do not mist during the day because high heat mixed with high humidity is not a good combo for veileds.
I also have a fogger that I use from 12(midnight)-4AM so my humidity gets a good nighttime bump. I try to get it to 100% at this time, and then it goes off at 4am so there is plenty of time to dry out before lights on.

Last edited:
  • Your Chameleon - Female veiled, baby of unknown age. Purchased yesterday evening at a reptile store.
  • Handling - We are not handling for at least 2 weeks. After that we will try to get her to eat by hand just so she’s used to us in case we need to take her to a vet.
  • Feeding - Calcium dusted small crickets. 7-8 per day in the early morning. Feeding crickets Mazuri gut loading diet.
  • Supplements - Repti calcium no D3 daily, reptivite 2 days monthly, omnivore mix as occasional treat.
  • Watering - Misting by hand 3 times daily. I do see her drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Looks like tiny bird droppings.
  • History - None available.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze screen cage
  • Lighting - 12 hours on, 12 hours off. 60w with 100w available if needed. Med zoo uv
  • Temperature - 84 top basking spot, I need additional thermometers for mid and bottom so that’s pending.
  • Humidity - Pending gauge for reading.
  • Plants - Artificial. Going to get live organic ficus today.
  • Placement - No breezes, elevated above people level. She’s in the living room but not a lot of people or traffic.
  • Location - southern CA. Close to the beach.

Current Problem - She ranges from Bright Green to almost black blue. She’s currently dark brown with yellow. Just making sure it’s normal in a new spot.

Attachments

• 17773E20-537B-48B9-A616-66D8DFCBC0DE.jpeg
    17773E20-537B-48B9-A616-66D8DFCBC0DE.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 961B7618-D96D-4C63-8696-CC46F51D83E6.jpeg
    961B7618-D96D-4C63-8696-CC46F51D83E6.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 53
  • FC3BE7A5-3438-44A3-976A-FF0A472F73F2.jpeg
    FC3BE7A5-3438-44A3-976A-FF0A472F73F2.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 56
  • BAF46F79-7468-4A0D-B5CE-90AE8FA58846.jpeg
    BAF46F79-7468-4A0D-B5CE-90AE8FA58846.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 56
You’re amazing. Thanks!!
  • Your Chameleon - Female veiled, baby of unknown age. Purchased yesterday evening at a reptile store.
  • Handling - We are not handling for at least 2 weeks. After that we will try to get her to eat by hand just so she’s used to us in case we need to take her to a vet.
  • Feeding - Calcium dusted small crickets. 7-8 per day in the early morning. Feeding crickets Mazuri gut loading diet.
  • Supplements - Repti calcium no D3 daily, reptivite 2 days monthly, omnivore mix as occasional treat.
  • Watering - Misting by hand 3 times daily. I do see her drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Looks like tiny bird droppings.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze screen cage
  • Lighting - 12 hours on, 12 hours off. 60w with 100w available if needed. Med zoo uv
  • Temperature - 84 top basking spot, I need additional thermometers for mid and bottom so that’s pending.
  • Humidity - Pending gauge for reading.
  • Plants - Artificial. Going to get live organic ficus today.
  • Placement - No breezes, elevated above people level. She’s in the living room but not a lot of people or traffic.
  • Location - southern CA. Close to the beach.
Current Problem - She ranges from Bright Green to almost black blue. She’s currently dark brown with yellow. Just making sure it’s normal in a new spot.

I posted a ton of new pics in my original post.

• Your Chameleon - Female veiled, baby of unknown age. Purchased yesterday evening at a reptile store. I would say around 4 months.
  • Handling - We are not handling for at least 2 weeks. After that we will try to get her to eat by hand just so she’s used to us in case we need to take her to a vet. this is good.
  • Feeding - Calcium dusted small crickets. 7-8 per day in the early morning. Feeding crickets Mazuri gut loading diet. mazuri gutload is good to feed just before feeding the insects to your chameleon, the rest of the time you should be feeding foods from the graphic I posted before. I'll attach it again. You also want more insects than only crickets. I'll attach the graphics for feeder type as well.
  • Supplements - Repti calcium no D3 daily, reptivite 2 days monthly, omnivore mix as occasional treat. omnivore mix is for bearded dragons. Your chameleon is an insectivore and should be fed live insects.
  • Watering - Misting by hand 3 times daily. I do see her drinking. this is good.
  • Fecal Description - Looks like tiny bird droppings. as she gets bigger so will her droppings. They should look like a firm brown poo pellet and a white (could be a tinge of orange) urate, which is the urine part.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze screen cage you'll want to upgrade to a 2ftx2ftx4ft xlreptibreeze eventually. The one you have will be outgrown.
  • Lighting - 12 hours on, 12 hours off. 60w with 100w available if needed. Med zoo uv definitely lift the lights, but also you really need a long linear tube bulb for uv. The T5 that I posted a link to is an essential. Also, the heat bulb can be a regular household incandescent bulb.
  • Temperature - 84 top basking spot, I need additional thermometers for mid and bottom so that’s pending. 84 is too hot for a female. You want her heat be rright at 79-80. That should be the absolute hottest temp in her cage, and it only needs to be that temp for a few hours a day. I have my bulb set up to a thermostat (herpstat) to make sure it doesnt get over 80.
  • Humidity - Pending gauge for reading. definitely needed.
  • Plants - Artificial. Going to get live organic ficus today. ficus is good. There are tons of options. Pothos are great for space fillers and have natural vines that trail off. Hibiscus is good if you have plant bulbs. Croton, jade, schefflera, spider plants, bromiliade, orchids, all kinds of options.
  • Placement - No breezes, elevated above people level. She’s in the living room but not a lot of people or traffic. this is good
  • Location - southern CA. Close to the beach. I'm in southern California too! ?

you'll want to know that females lay infertile eggs like chickens, and she will needs a lay bin. It can be an opaque container, around 10inx10inx10in, filled with washed play sand. You'll want to make it a permanent part of her enclosure so she can use it whenever ready.
Also, you're doing an excellent job so far. Dont hesitate to ask lots of questions. I'm sure I missed some things, just trying to give you a quick run-down. @Beman and @MissSkittles are good people to ask questions to also. Very knowledgeable and eager to help.

Last edited:
You've done an awesome job to start. The cool thing about the chameleon hobby is that you'll always be changing things as you learn more.
I would suggest you upgrade your uv lights to T5HO 5.0 bulb and fixture. The ones your using are not recommended for chameleons (even though pet shops like to say they are). I'll attach a link.
Your calcium should be no D3, used at every feeding besides 2 a month.
You'll want a multivitamin like reptivite with D3 to use 2 times a month. I like to use mine on the 1st and 15th.
The cricket gutload should be mostly leafy greens, veggies, and small amounts of fruit...I'll find and attach the graphics for that too.

I love the amount of branches you have provided, and that you'll be getting a ficus to put in. Veileds are notorious for nibbling on their plants, so plastic leaves pose a risk of impaction. I would remove the green carpet and just leave it bare bottom. The carpet breeds bacteria and gets yucky. You're off to a great start! It's looking good.
Very smooth AmandaS I should take a leaf out of your book

• Your Chameleon - Female veiled, baby of unknown age. Purchased yesterday evening at a reptile store. I would say around 4 months.
  • Handling - We are not handling for at least 2 weeks. After that we will try to get her to eat by hand just so she’s used to us in case we need to take her to a vet. this is good.
  • Feeding - Calcium dusted small crickets. 7-8 per day in the early morning. Feeding crickets Mazuri gut loading diet. mazuri gutload is good to feed just before feeding the insects to your chameleon, the rest of the time you should be feeding foods from the graphic I posted before. I'll attach it again. You also want more insects than only crickets. I'll attach the graphics for feeder type as well.
  • Supplements - Repti calcium no D3 daily, reptivite 2 days monthly, omnivore mix as occasional treat. omnivore mix is for bearded dragons. Your chameleon is an insectivore and should be fed live insects.
  • Watering - Misting by hand 3 times daily. I do see her drinking. this is good.
  • Fecal Description - Looks like tiny bird droppings. as she gets bigger so will her droppings. They should look like a firm brown poo pellet and a white (could be a tinge of orange) urate, which is the urine part.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze screen cage you'll want to upgrade to a 2ftx2ftx4ft xlreptibreeze eventually. The one you have will be outgrown.
  • Lighting - 12 hours on, 12 hours off. 60w with 100w available if needed. Med zoo uv definitely lift the lights, but also you really need a long linear tube bulb for uv. The T5 that I posted a link to is an essential. Also, the heat bulb can be a regular household incandescent bulb.
  • Temperature - 84 top basking spot, I need additional thermometers for mid and bottom so that’s pending. 84 is too hot for a female. You want her heat be rright at 79-80. That should be the absolute hottest temp in her cage, and it only needs to be that temp for a few hours a day. I have my bulb set up to a thermostat (herpstat) to make sure it doesnt get over 80.
  • Humidity - Pending gauge for reading. definitely needed.
  • Plants - Artificial. Going to get live organic ficus today. ficus is good. There are tons of options. Pothos are great for space fillers and have natural vines that trail off. Hibiscus is good if you have plant bulbs. Croton, jade, schefflera, spider plants, bromiliade, orchids, all kinds of options.
  • Placement - No breezes, elevated above people level. She’s in the living room but not a lot of people or traffic. this is good
  • Location - southern CA. Close to the beach. I'm in southern California too! ?

you'll want to know that females lay infertile eggs like chickens, and she will needs a lay bin. It can be an opaque container, around 10inx10inx10in, filled with washed play sand. You'll want to make it a permanent part of her enclosure so she can use it whenever ready.
Also, you're doing an excellent job so far. Dont hesitate to ask lots of questions. I'm sure I missed some things, just trying to give you a quick run-down. @Beman and @MissSkittles are good people to ask questions to also. Very knowledgeable and eager to help.
We’ve lifted lights and added live greens. She’s super serene now.

Attachments

• EFB25B9A-ED86-48CE-83B3-4EDB1FB6D7BE.jpeg
    EFB25B9A-ED86-48CE-83B3-4EDB1FB6D7BE.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 99BA7D3D-4900-4A30-9D78-8757FB95B888.jpeg
    99BA7D3D-4900-4A30-9D78-8757FB95B888.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 63
Just waiting on delivery. :) thanks for the feedback!!
Awesome! Remember you want it 8 or 9 inches away from the highest branch.
Your enclosure will be very nice with that new uv!! Good job!
Then as your plants grow you phase out the plastic ones. I think it looks nice.

Back
Top Bottom