Need sunburn precaution advice

MzLaurie11

Avid Member
Hunter is the first baby veiled cham I have raised. He is now 6 1\2 months old and I took him for his first walk outside this week. The day was hot so we kept it a short walk but it got me thinking about sunburns and chameleons. He is fully molting about every three to four weeks and is growing fast. Is there any guidelines about over exposure and age or just in general?

I haven't heard about chameleons getting sunburns nor have I seen a chameleon experience a sunburn. Their scales do a good job at protecting them. With that said, too much UV exposure can have detrimental effects on a chameleon, but it's highly unlikely you will experience UV levels of that kind at or around your house. The main concern with the sun is the heat. Ideally, you let them outside when it's below 80F or below and give them lots of shade. Also, sunburns have nothing to do with heat. Humans can just as easily get sunburns in the wintertime or on a cloudy day. More people spend time inside during the cold winter that they don't give their skin a chance to burn.

Additionally, what do you mean by "walk"? Is he walking on the ground?

Oh with a leash of course! Lol. No i hold him and go for a walk. My last cham would sit on my shoulder or hang onto my shirt and we would walk around the block and chevk out Peoples gardens. he loved it and thus one likes it too. When i went to put him back in his cage he did not want to go. Thats a first!

Back
Top Bottom