Need lighting clarification

EverettAshley

Hi
I am looking into getting a veiled chameleon but need some help in finding the correct lighting. I feel like there is so much out there that the more I look the more confused I getting. I currently have compact light fixtures but am not opposed to getting a linear one.
Could I get some product recommendations for lighting including options for heat, uvb and fixtures.
Exact names and would help for purchasing purposes.

Hi there. So with chameleons you want to use the linear T5HO fixtures and either a 5.0 or 6% bulb. This fixture should be the width of the cage.

Placement depends a lot on the age of the chameleon. If it is young it will screen climb so we lift the fixture 4 inches off the top of the cage then the basking branch (closest branch below the fixture) is placed 5 inches below the screen. This puts baby in the right UVB level at the branch and not into over exposure levels on the screen.

This is a really good fixture with the uvb bulb. https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...r/products/arcadia-prot5-6-uvb-bulb-with-hood

Choose length needed. Typically used are 24 inch fixtures.

Heat would be a dome fixture. This you would want to lift up off the cage as well if you have a baby. Wall plant hooks with the long arm work really well for this. Then you would use a 60 watt regular incandescent bulb. Temps for Veileds should sit about 80-85 max. With a baby or a female your leaning to the 80 mark and no hotter.

Hi there. So with chameleons you want to use the linear T5HO fixtures and either a 5.0 or 6% bulb. This fixture should be the width of the cage.

Placement depends a lot on the age of the chameleon. If it is young it will screen climb so we lift the fixture 4 inches off the top of the cage then the basking branch (closest branch below the fixture) is placed 5 inches below the screen. This puts baby in the right UVB level at the branch and not into over exposure levels on the screen.

This is a really good fixture with the uvb bulb. https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...r/products/arcadia-prot5-6-uvb-bulb-with-hood

Choose length needed. Typically used are 24 inch fixtures.

Heat would be a dome fixture. This you would want to lift up off the cage as well if you have a baby. Wall plant hooks with the long arm work really well for this. Then you would use a 60 watt regular incandescent bulb. Temps for Veileds should sit about 80-85 max. With a baby or a female your leaning to the 80 mark and no hotter.
Thank you so much for the link. There are way too many options out there. I was going to get a juvenile or something a little bigger.

Thank you so much for the link. There are way too many options out there. I was going to get a juvenile or something a little bigger.
Your welcome. I understand and when you are new to the hobby it is like everything is in a foreign language. Trying to make sense of it all can be a bit intimidating.

Do you know where you are going to buy from? Framschams breeds veileds and they are a good breeder.
If getting something a little larger say 5 months or older then you could set up your UVB differently. Less likely for them to screen climb. It could be placed on the screen top of the cage and then the basking branch would be 8-9 inches below it for the perfect UVB level.

Let us know if you would like feedback on your cage as you go through the set up process.
This is a really good site to learn correct husbandry https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Your welcome. I understand and when you are new to the hobby it is like everything is in a foreign language. Trying to make sense of it all can be a bit intimidating.

Do you know where you are going to buy from? Framschams breeds veileds and they are a good breeder.
If getting something a little larger say 5 months or older then you could set up your UVB differently. Less likely for them to screen climb. It could be placed on the screen top of the cage and then the basking branch would be 8-9 inches below it for the perfect UVB level.

Let us know if you would like feedback on your cage as you go through the set up process.
This is a really good site to learn correct husbandry https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Thank you! I will look into Framschams.
You are a wealth of knowledge. Could I pick your brain about good misting systems?

Back
Top Bottom