Need Help ASAP

SpeedyClax

i have a 3-4 month old panther cham and i have him in a glass 18x18x24 enclosure. For substrate i have an inch or 2 of rocks then 2-3 inches of coconut husk and 1-2 inches of moss on top of that. I have been noticing that there is alot of water at the bottom and some of the coconut husk is starting to get mold on it. This isn't good does anyone know how to drain the water better in a glass terrarium

you need a whole new enclosure! one with out glass and no substrate!! Please do some research online to find a suitable home for your cham.:eek:

i was also think i might just bulid him a new enclosure tonight
does anyone have ne good enclosure building guides? but i need
some good ideads on a drainage system either for the 1 i have now or
for the 1 im going 2 start buliding him tonight

Spend a little time looking thru the enclosures forum looking at otheres set-ups, and that will give you some ideas. They have set up packages thru many of the site sponsers, aswell as thru LLL Reptile. It is ofter easier and cheaper to just buy a RTA cage as they often need cage changes as they grow. Once your cham reaches adulthood then id say it would be cool to build that custom enclosure. But as others said get him out of that glass cage asap, they do not provide ample ventalation, and your cham will thank you for it. Substrates are just a breading area for bacteria along with the risk of your cham eatting it and choking, and or becoming impacted. Not fun stuff that can kill you poor little guy.;) Bare bottoms on the cages work best and paper towels are nice aswell, aslong as they are changed regularly and not left damp. Good luck with your new cham, there is a huge wealth of knowledge on this forum, you should find the all answers your looking for.:)

Jay

so do u think if i take all the substrate out now and put paper towel in the bottom that he will b ok in there until i get him a screen cage or build him a screen enclosure?

so do u think if i take all the substrate out now and put paper towel in the bottom that he will b ok in there until i get him a screen cage or build him a screen enclosure?

Yes, remove substrate (not necessary, and can harbour bacteria or mold, as you discovered). You can continue to use the glass enclosure for the short term, so long as you are attentive to temperature, airflow, water drainage, and possible reflection issues.

You could drill (or have professional glass cutter do it) a hole in the bottom of the glass terrarium. If you have a hole in the back left corner, and slightly raise the front right, the water will drain out the bottom (obviously you'll need something under to catch the water).

Many people construct screen cages, or buy them ready-made. My cages are wood framed. https://www.chameleonforums.com/members/sandrachameleon-albums-cage.html

I made my cage for a total of 15$

Mainly because my friends dad works for a word shop

It isn't hard to make a cage at all. If you got 50-60$ to spend on EVERYTHING making the cage including plants, locks, screen, and other stuff...You should be ok

Try and work around something like this...BUT DONT USE WINDOW SCREEN LIKE I DID

Im changing that in about 2 days.

I have a 4month old panther chameleon that is in this cage

Picture.jpg

All these are good ideas but i noticed you lived in Canada so you might want to look at some U.K sites and get some ideas there.

Yes, remove substrate (not necessary, and can harbour bacteria or mold, as you discovered). You can continue to use the glass enclosure for the short term, so long as you are attentive to temperature, airflow, water drainage, and possible reflection issues.

You could drill (or have professional glass cutter do it) a hole in the bottom of the glass terrarium. If you have a hole in the back left corner, and slightly raise the front right, the water will drain out the bottom (obviously you'll need something under to catch the water).

Many people construct screen cages, or buy them ready-made. My cages are wood framed. https://www.chameleonforums.com/members/sandrachameleon-albums-cage.html
Thanx sandra for the ideas im not keeping him in there for long at all im going 2 home depot in about an hour to buy some materials to build him an enclosure for now im going 2 take all substrate out and put paper towel on the bottom

I made my cage for a total of 15$

Mainly because my friends dad works for a word shop

It isn't hard to make a cage at all. If you got 50-60$ to spend on EVERYTHING making the cage including plants, locks, screen, and other stuff...You should be ok

Try and work around something like this...BUT DONT USE WINDOW SCREEN LIKE I DID

Im changing that in about 2 days.

I have a 4month old panther chameleon that is in this cage

Picture.jpg
what did u switch 2 aluminum screening?

Sandra what exactly did u use for the sides? i really like ur set-up cause my concern with a screen cage is that i live in canada and it might b harder to keep good ambient temps with a full screen

i was also think i might just bulid him a new enclosure tonight
does anyone have ne good enclosure building guides? but i need
some good ideads on a drainage system either for the 1 i have now or
for the 1 im going 2 start buliding him tonight

You can click on my name and look at my cage albums under my profile.

Don't worry about the Canada aspect too much. We live about 20 klicks north of you (Brampton) and house our guys in screen with no problem. All you need is a cool mist humidifier pvc piped above your cage when things get dry. (we have Meru Jacksons that really need a LOT of humidity)
Run into any problems and pm me neighbour!:D

You can use that nice glass enclosure for the pygmys you will get in the future.:D

Sandra what exactly did u use for the sides? i really like ur set-up cause my concern with a screen cage is that i live in canada and it might b harder to keep good ambient temps with a full screen

I am very happy with my painted woodframe, pegboard on the sides and back and screen on top cages, with front doors of plexiglass. The cages are sturdy, unlike typical screen ones, so I can hang branches and plants easily. No risk of toe or claw damage, as can happen with screen/mesh cages. The cages retain humidity well, but allow plenty of air circulation. The cages can be essentially side-by-side without the chameleons seeing each other.

I came up with the design independantly, but turns out others feel this is a good cage design: http://www.chameleonnews.com/?page=article&id=62

Back
Top Bottom