Need help and opinions please

vPooch

Hello everyone so I’m a newer chameleon owner I’ve had my little guy for about 3 weeks now. He’s somewhere between 3-4 months old. I originally had him in the zoo med chameleon kit (16x16x36 I believe) before realizing that I should maybe look into upgrading his setup. I started putting together and decorating a 2x2x4 Reptibreeze enclosure a long with a Arcadia jungle dawn led for plants a Arcadia t5 6% uvb light and a incandescent light bulb in a dome fixture on a dimmer his basking spot is 81 degrees I have a mist king with 2 nozzles that I scheduled for 15 seconds in the morning 15 seconds at night and 10 seconds half way through the day 2 golden pothos and a ficus in the enclosure. So I put him in there yesterday but before I put him in the 2x2x4 enclosure there was a day where he didn’t eat and then the next day only 2 2 week old crickets and a wax worm which isn’t enough and today the day after he’s been in the enclosure he doesn’t seem interested in food and is hanging out on a pothos vine towards the bottom of the enclosure which is really worrying me I put a food cup towards the top of his enclosure attached to the side right under a branch for him to eat from but since he’s towards the bottom I put another food cup at the bottom of the enclosure right under him and he’s still not interested. I’m really worried and not sure what to do any help would be very appreciated I attached a picture of the enclosure he is in now

Attachments

• B32EF11B-C1C2-49A4-895E-F033C1B186C1.jpeg
    B32EF11B-C1C2-49A4-895E-F033C1B186C1.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 89
Please post some photos of your chameleon.
Hard to get a pic of him because the sides are covered with a shower curtain he darkened up a bit from me sticking the camera in there

Attachments

• E791FD76-E1DE-4599-8D16-7A94AC2E4F82.jpeg
    E791FD76-E1DE-4599-8D16-7A94AC2E4F82.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 5EF118D9-5DD8-4EDD-A0CA-47FB6C3196A9.jpeg
    5EF118D9-5DD8-4EDD-A0CA-47FB6C3196A9.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 76ECD5A9-4D8F-45CD-8473-23F57E8ED194.jpeg
    76ECD5A9-4D8F-45CD-8473-23F57E8ED194.jpeg
    473.8 KB · Views: 75
Have you tried letting your feeders roam in the cage instead of using ur cup, might give him more stimulus while hiding making him want to get out more?

You said he stopped eating before you put him in the new cage?
He didn’t eat the day before the day of the move is when he ate the 2 crickets and a wax worm but up until then he was eating 5-8 bigger 2 week crickets or 10+ 1week crickets with a wax worm added maybe once or twice a week I haven’t tried letting the crickets loose in the cage though and was wondering if that might help?

Have you tried letting your feeders roam in the cage instead of using ur cup, might give him more stimulus while hiding making him want to get out more?
I haven’t but was worried about trying to track them down if he doesn’t eat them as I read that they could nip at him over night

You could try letting them loose and see if it helps. However, if he wasn't eating before the move then the new enclosure isn't the issue. It is concerning because at that age they should eat 15 crickets every day.

What I would do in this situation is schedule a vet visit to include getting a fecal done to rule out parasites. I would also fill out a husbandry review form and post to this thread. There are some very experienced people here who can look over it and make sure everything in that department is correct in trying to figure out what is wrong. If there is something wrong he can decline fast. Best case scenario he is being picky about what he wants to eat.

Hi there,

I totally get baby cham stress (I’ve got a 4 month old that’s currently keeping me on pins and needles). I’m going to second what @Morpheo's Mom said and suggest getting him to the vet. If you can let us know your location, I know @jannb can help you find a vet in your area. As said above, definitely get that fecal on him as you‘ll want to rule out parasites. Just something else to point out - you’re going to want to mist longer than 15 seconds. That isn’t long enough for your baby to get a drink or clean his eyes if he needs to. I’d let his MistKing run at least 2-3 minutes before lights on in the morning, and 2-3 minutes after lights off. Also offer a dripper during the day. Chameleons dehydrate easily, and babies even more so. Dehydration can contribute to lack of appetite. I’m far from an expert and can’t say for certain that is exactly what your issue is, but it’s an adjustment I’d make regardless.

I really hope he starts eating soon!

Hi there,

I totally get baby cham stress (I’ve got a 4 month old that’s currently keeping me on pins and needles). I’m going to second what @Morpheo's Mom said and suggest getting him to the vet. If you can let us know your location, I know @jannb can help you find a vet in your area. As said above, definitely get that fecal on him as you‘ll want to rule out parasites. Just something else to point out - you’re going to want to mist longer than 15 seconds. That isn’t long enough for your baby to get a drink or clean his eyes if he needs to. I’d let his MistKing run at least 2-3 minutes before lights on in the morning, and 2-3 minutes after lights off. Also offer a dripper during the day. Chameleons dehydrate easily, and babies even more so. Dehydration can contribute to lack of appetite. I’m far from an expert and can’t say for certain that is exactly what your issue is, but it’s an adjustment I’d make regardless.

I really hope he starts eating soon!
Thank you I’ll try to find a reputable reptile vet I’m in Vancouver Canada. And okay I’ll definitely up his misting times it didn’t seem like he liked being misted which is why I kept the misting short but I’ll definitely give that a try

Back
Top Bottom