nat problem

Marc10edora

Avid Member
I just took a routine inspection of my veilds cage and noticed a group of nats that were gathered around my hibiscus plant. I have no idea how they got there. I am using supersoil for the plant and the soil is usually damp because of all of the mistings. I've been having trouble getting my potting soil to totally dry out during the day. The excess moisture in the soil might be causing nats to show up. Does anyone have any tips on getting rid of them safely? I running out of ideas.

I've also noticed that my cham will go down to the nat area and pick them off as a snack before he goes to bed. I don't mind that he does that, but I just don't want a nat infestation in my room. Should I put up fly traps outside the cage?

It seems like they are multiplying.

you can be sure they are - and will continue to do so. Just like the ant issue in the other thread once established they have a home. Fortunately, fungus gnats are harmless to you and your cham but they surely are a pain. Their life cycle is mainly in the soil itself where eggs are laid they pass their larval stage. The only way is to get the soil to dry out. Do you have a back up plant? Always a good idea so you can swap when these things happen. Even if you repotted when you got it (sounds like you did) there were likely on the roots and/or any remaining soil.

I used to place dried sage leaves on top of the soil of my indoor plants to get rid of them, which did work. If your cham accidentally eats a piece it would not hurt him and actually would probably spit it out.

They fact that he is picking them off is great so long as your soil has no perlite in it that he ingests by mistake.

I just read that Steinernema feltiae Nematodes are a natural preditor towards the fungus nat. They act like a parasite to them. Also they are harmless to humans, animals, and plants. Has anybody tried to use this to get rid of their nats? I wonder if they are safe for chams to eat. There is also another species of nematode that kills ants. That could be useful this summer, when ants come out more often.

Back
Top Bottom