My Outdoor/Transport/Temporary Cage Updated Also: Home Made Mist system pictures

RSGriff

I built this a while back and decided it needed an update since it was no very functional.

Original thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/transport-temp-outdoor-cage-24313/

IMG_0055.jpg

At work, I was doing odds/ends work including turning old cedar siding from my bosses house into pickets for a fence. The pieces that were too small were to be thrown out so I took them to make a stand for the cage since cedar is notorious for being weather resistant. This wood was on the outside of his house, not painted or treated for 32 years and it still looks good and is solid. So, Update #1 - Stand fashioned from rough sawed cedar with door to hide water catch pan made from a Rubbermaid lid with a hole in it and the bucket as well as the tank for the home made sprayer, not to mention anything else I can put in there such as small feeder cages, supplements, etc.

IMG_1124.jpg
IMG_1125.jpg
IMG_1128.jpg
IMG_1129.jpg

In response to https://www.chameleonforums.com/diy-hd-auto-mister-18660/

Update #2:
I also built a home made mist system that is similar. Mine came out to about $65 and consists of a Vigoro Aqua Timer from Home Depot for $25, 1/4 tubing, various brass fittings to make it work and a sprayer from walmart that was $15 which I used the tank, pump and mister from to make it work.
The tank and timer are shown in the above pictures. Here is the spraying nozzle (also pictured a in/out thermometer and hydrometer that I got on ebay for $12 shipped):
IMG_1126.jpg

Update #3
To the inside, I added some vine that I went back into the woods and sanded the bark off and cleaned up, added some silk plants/vines and a live Golden Pothos. I also included some horseshoe and straight bamboo steaks meant for plants.

here is Vince enjoying the cage in the natural sun:

IMG_1127.jpg

I always appreciate people who spend time building their own cages. It really tells how different everyones brains are wired. Creatively speaking..

I would have never thought of using velcro for the screen. A very innovative cage. I am sure it was really cheap to make as well?

the cage was fairly inexpensive to build. The most expensive individual part was the screen.

Pipe was like $8 and the elbows for that were about $10. The wood was free and the screen came in at about $25 or so.

The reason I built it was because my other self built cage was just too large to bring home (Im a student on summer break). I also went on vacation and needed a friend to watch him so a free range during that time was out of the question.

Temps are in the mid-low 70's right now at mid day-early evening. It has been rather cold here for the time of the year (we had a really warm May in the mid 80's and so far June has been in the low 60's) but it should be in the 80s tomorrow. That's why I had 2 heat lamps running today in the pictures.

I have a free range set up in my bedroom for nights and cold days but he seems to eat and drink better outside in this set up.

well, I ran out of work, so I had some free time. I decided to build a feeder rack for my Mulberry Farms order that should be here mid week. Again it was free since it is scrap oak boards and maple plywood

IMG_1130.jpg
IMG_1131.jpg

the only container that has anything in it is the bottom one which has some wax worms that are almost to moth stage

Back
Top Bottom