My "not so" local pet store ... sad day

jpw0006

This weekend, I went into the Pet(could be Co or Smart, I don't really remember ;) ) and I usually stop by their reptile selection while I am waiting for my crickets. This time I saw two veiled chameleons, one of which couldnt have been older than 3-4 weeks (no bigger than 2 inches from head to tail) and another that was probably about 1-2 months old. The sad part of the story is that these little guys looked to be very sick. The littlest one looked like it was trying to sleep during the day, dehydrated (sunken eyes) and looked like it was having trouble breathing. The saddest was the larger cham, he was very pretty but had clear signs of MBD (bent, swollen arms and joints; some of his joints appeared to have multiple kinks; uneven cask), he also looked like he had labored breathing in which his ribs would stick out and were uneven but the saddest thing of all is that he couldn't even stand up to walk. He would slide across his belly on the bottom of the cage.

I felt so bad about these two little guys and I wanted to adopt them but I don't have the means to take care of them. I alerted the manager before I left, in which his reply was "Well, I haven't seen them today but thanks." I felt dismissed but, like I said, I am in no situation to take on another cham, especially two.

The upside to this story: After seeing these poor creatures I realized something. I realized that I have learned a lot from my own experiences from owning chams but also, that I have learned a great deal more from this forum. I would like to thank all of you who have helped and replied to my questions in the past and for those who have put this site together.

I share you horror at what "Pet Stores" do to our beloved chameleons.

I also have learned an incredible amount from this forum and am always learning more. The people who moderate are great as is Brad who is the system administrator- the big enchilada. Thanks to all of you and to all the members.

This weekend, I went into the Pet(could be Co or Smart, I don't really remember ;) ) and I usually stop by their reptile selection while I am waiting for my crickets. This time I saw two veiled chameleons, one of which couldnt have been older than 3-4 weeks (no bigger than 2 inches from head to tail) and another that was probably about 1-2 months old. The sad part of the story is that these little guys looked to be very sick. The littlest one looked like it was trying to sleep during the day, dehydrated (sunken eyes) and looked like it was having trouble breathing. The saddest was the larger cham, he was very pretty but had clear signs of MBD (bent, swollen arms and joints; some of his joints appeared to have multiple kinks; uneven cask), he also looked like he had labored breathing in which his ribs would stick out and were uneven but the saddest thing of all is that he couldn't even stand up to walk. He would slide across his belly on the bottom of the cage.

I felt so bad about these two little guys and I wanted to adopt them but I don't have the means to take care of them. I alerted the manager before I left, in which his reply was "Well, I haven't seen them today but thanks." I felt dismissed but, like I said, I am in no situation to take on another cham, especially two.

The upside to this story: After seeing these poor creatures I realized something. I realized that I have learned a lot from my own experiences from owning chams but also, that I have learned a great deal more from this forum. I would like to thank all of you who have helped and replied to my questions in the past and for those who have put this site together.

corporations like that don't care for any animal, their like monsters trying to devour as much profit as possible... evil but true.

if this forum is willing to, we can bombard and flood them with email complaints about this problem, ive read too many threads on this subject!, its sad.

we gotta fight!

I am fairly sure when Stacy and I walk into the Local mart or co they cringe knowingly. We have no problems going to the managers and telling them to fix things. :) The good part about it though is they k now we care and have our number when people bring in animals to abandon them.

We have also learned a tremendous amount from these forums, its a great place to learn and find new techniques to advance your keeping. Thanks all

Gpmo (him)

i have learned so much helpful info on the forum, and i would luv to fight the coporate side of abuse to animals ; i cant understand why they dont properly care for the animals then they should not offer them, it URKS me to hear of this and wish there was more i could do to prevent it ; such a shame, i would haave called animal control right away to file charges

Back
Top Bottom