My jackson

Kristof De Moor

My jacksonii wilegensis

Attachments

• 038 [640x480].JPG
    038 [640x480].JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 174
=(.... i hate you... i want one so bad..

He looks TERRIFIC!

MOAR! i demand MOAR pictures! its a pleasure t get to see this species.

Last edited:
Arg! I need a male! And that one is beautiful! Wanna do a breeding loan to California? haha:D I heard that a shipment of these farm-raised animals was received in the UK not too long ago. Did you get him recently?

kent, LOL i would sell my soul to get one of those babies, if you actually made that happen!

Gorgeous male. As others said, he's got some PERFECT horns! Do you have any other photos? He doesn't seem to have as much coloration as other males of that "form", often and erroneously called willegensis-- which are more colorful specimens of the nominate form.

Nonetheless, it's one of the most impressive jacksonii I've seen! Keep the photos coming!

Cheers,

Fabián

Last edited:
meru, can you explin a bit more..

the willegensis part. i thouht this was the jacksonii jacksonii. i still a bit ignorant on the matter, and really wish to know more. how many species of jacksonii are there, i kno of jack jack, jack xan, and jack meru, i havn't heard of willegensis.

he originally looked like a jack jack to me, cause i thought was seeing a nice yellow stripe down his side, just with no blues...

meru, can you explin a bit more..

the willegensis part. i thouht this was the jacksonii jacksonii. i still a bit ignorant on the matter, and really wish to know more. how many species of jacksonii are there, i kno of jack jack, jack xan, and jack meru, i havn't heard of willegensis.

he originally looked like a jack jack to me, cause i thought was seeing a nice yellow stripe down his side, just with no blues...

Sang,

You're correct-- the animal in the photo appears to be a male of the nominate form, Chamaeleo (T.) jacksonii jacksonii, a highly variable subspecies that can have some spectacularly colored males (and females, actually). These specimens were nicknamed "willegensis" and the name stuck ever since, but it is not an accepted name taxonomically, and although future revisions may split the group into more subspecies, only three distinct subspecies are recognized to date. As Rob Pilley has written in the past, there is an area of intergradation between the nominate form and xantholophus, which only complicates things when the geographic origin of specimens is not fully known.

The animal in the photo may, in fact, be an intergrade of the two subspecies, but it's difficult to know without additional information. The yellow stripe you speak of is not a determining factor in this case because, as you have probably seen, it is also present in certain animals of Hawaiian origin-- that, together with the variability of color in females on the islands (especially reds and browns) further support the hypothesis that specimens of Hawaiian origin may actually be intergrades between the nominate form, jacksonii jacksonii, and jacksonii xantholophus.

Fabián

Last edited:
Handsome devil!
I just heard a noise and noticed Skeeta was looking over my shoulder and fainted. (It's not love, just lust)

More pictures please.

Sang, trust me....I'm really hoping I can make that happen some day. Unfortunately, I'm still holding my breath for a spontaneous conception. ;)

He doesn't seem to have as much coloration as other males of that "form", often and erroneously called willegensis-- which are more colorful specimens of the nominate form.

When I had a male, the bright colors were incredibly difficult to get decent pictures of. It all seemed to wash together like this guy's color. Also, Ferguson, et al wrote about the intergrades in their description of xantholophus. I've wondered if that's what results in the single horn females, although the original pair I purchased both had that solid yellow rectangle on their flanks, which I've heard is attributable to the Nairobi forms (Ch. (T.) jacksonii jacksonii). As for the willegensis, I think I read somewhere that form was so-named because they were smuggled into the Netherlands, where they took the name of the smuggler....Or was it that "willegen" meant villain or something in English? :confused:

Sang, trust me....I'm really hoping I can make that happen some day. Unfortunately, I'm still holding my breath for a spontaneous conception. ;)

When I had a male, the bright colors were incredibly difficult to get decent pictures of. It all seemed to wash together like this guy's color. Also, Ferguson, et al wrote about the intergrades in their description of xantholophus. I've wondered if that's what results in the single horn females, although the original pair I purchased both had that solid yellow rectangle on their flanks, which I've heard is attributable to the Nairobi forms (Ch. (T.) jacksonii jacksonii). As for the willegensis, I think I read somewhere that form was so-named because they were smuggled into the Netherlands, where they took the name of the smuggler....Or was it that "willegen" meant villain or something in English? :confused:

Yes, you need a male. URGENTLY.

I completely agree with you regarding the single-horn xantholophus-- they must be intergrades. I really wish more information was made available as to the origin of these imports, WC or farmed-- but that's true for all taxa, I suppose.

Fabián

Back
Top Bottom