My Future! (:

NewOwner

Hi, I Am levi, i am a 15 year old male, i have one male veiled chameleon. Anyways, this forum is for tips on me, and my future and what you think of it..

So here it is... :)

I am 15, still in school [Gr.10] And plan to graduate in 2010/2011 And after school i plan to go to post seceondary school to learn about Massage Therapy, and work out of my home where, for extra money i will Breed and sell chameleons... And have some of my own Exotic Pets :)

PLUS I will need tips On Breeding, i do not know the first thing about it, and will start in about a month or 2, when i learn all the stuff i need to know, and get little yoshi a Date :p

Welcome to the forums, this is a great place to learn and grow as a chameleon owner. As I am a newbie of sorts myself I can only say that you should really establish your current cham for more than a couple months before thinking about starting breeding. Breeding can be costly and time consuming, chameleons can be a handful to take care of.
Let me be the first to direct you to this site full of helpful info:
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/
Good luck with your new cham!

Don't be mistaken, there are instances where it can be profitable, HOWEVER, the majority of the time if there even is a profit it will not be that much. You need to consider the costs of raising all those little chams for atleast 2 months.... very expensive so keep that in mind. (forgot to mention the actual energy/time spent raising them as well will be astronomical)

To be very, very honest with you, I don't think I had the time or the money to pursue this venture until I did, and I am in my thirties! :) Start up is a slow process, especially if you buy babies, like I did, and raise them up to nearly a year old, like I did, and then wait 9 months for the eggs to hatch. All the while still outputting money to build up my stock(=3) of breeding Panther females, of which only one is breeding age and has eggs incubating. And adding other species, which I am still getting mates for. I don't even want to add up what I have spent in caging and lighting alone, not to mention the cost of feeders for the adults. This is FUN for me, and will maybe yield a small amount of money, but I am not looking to quit my day job anytime soon (=ever)! You have to be VERY large scale to have it be sustaining. The pride I have in my last(= first) batch of Veileds and the fact that many forum members have them and they are gorgeous (=biased opinion) :) is sustaining enough for me. And to be able to attend shows and meet everyone is just a great thing also. Here is my thead on cost of raising babies...

https://www.chameleonforums.com/cost-raising-69-baby-18467/

The only way you'd be able to make any kind of profit would be if you had all of your feeders breeding on their own. You'd be surprised how fast babies can make work of crickets, or so I've heard:)

Juli they sure are gorgeous. I woke up this morning to Dante showing off his colors, all puffed up, and prideful looking. Of course as soon as I go for the camera he decides to chill out.

cut cost as much as possible,
breed panthers, start with the best stock you can afford from a known and proven line, and try to line up buyers before you even breed.

you'll sell some to private parties at a decent price ( prob not market $ cause you're unknown, unless you pony up and purchase smokin breeders from infamous lines ) but you'll prob need to sell to stores. good news is stores are more likely to agree to purchase before you even breed.

the more info you keep the better. stats, info on feeders, gutload, weights, vet visits, pics anything. help the newbs and get your name out buy giving solid advice

make friends, gets deals and hookups. trade stock for supplies and feeders. there are tons of things to do to ensure profit....but it wont be much

Thank you all.. and i really think i would love breeding them.. i know i wouldnt make much profit but, i would love just the fact of getting more chameleons out there... plus there so cute! :p ive always wanted exotic pets, never thought id have a chameleon, now i got one :p i love it... i am a biiiiig pet lover, we just do not have any room in this house.. So thank you for all of your replies, and BTW i never said i was gonna do this breeding thing, just planning out my future, this forum was pretty much asking for help on which, wether i should start breeding or not [In a couple months] After all i am only 15... :p uhm... But yeh, please keep responding lets see what people think! :)

I've been crunching the start-up numbers for the last 2 months while I await the start-up $$ due at the end of January (are we there yet!!). The first year is 100% RED :eek:

The second year I'm very busy attending expos, buying ad space on a particular forum :p and many other marketing expenses. (thank goodness I just landed another corporate client for my "other" job). Still a little pinkish.

And if the lizard god for fertility smile on me I may be able to pay for crickets (maybe not that bad but almost).

I'm afraid to post my numbers for fear that I'm missing something but I would like to show them to make sure I have all the chams need met.

I'm 44 and I've been addicted to chams for 15 years..breeding as a hobbyist on and off during those years.

If I was 15 again (but I love do the 40's) I would do exactly what you're doing. Dreaming, planning and networking. Your future will be rich with knowledge and the possibilities will be endless. ;)

Persevere grasshopper, the future is yours. :D

Back
Top Bottom