My first enclosure

I'm leaning that way too. I was also thinking about a bathroom vanity without a sink but so far most of them tend to be more expensive.
Bathroom vanities and kitchen cabinets are not the same size.
Kitchen cabinets tend to be 24 inches deep, while bathroom cabinets are around 21 inches deep. It makes sense that kitchens would have deeper cabinets as you need to store appliances, pots, pans, groceries, and other essentials. ... Bathroom cabinets also tend to be shorter than kitchen cabinets (31 inches vs. 34 inches).
https://www.centennialwoodworking.com/how-are-bathroom-and-kitchen-cabinets-different/

Bathroom vanities and kitchen cabinets are not the same size.
Either way you need a top but the wider kitchen one wouldn't need one as big as the bathroom one to compensate for the narrower depth. Thinking through it I realized the kitchen one would make more sense. Your reasoning is spot on and sort of obvious but I needed to think through it myself!

i dont have anything to raise it right now but i will do something to raise it higher. what about my basking bulb? should i raise that too?
Yes, it should be a minimum of around 8” away from the basking branch. What’s your basking temp?
hes going to be 3 months
Yup, he’ll go through a screen-climbing phase. What species are you getting, and what breeder are you getting him from (not all are safe to buy from)?

its a T5. i have a solar meter, i was getting a 3.0 when i measured it, which is what most people recommend for the uvb spot should i still move it?. its a panther chameleon, ambanja.
So the concern is a young baby climbing on the top... Max exposure you want is a 6 there. So this means raising fixtures to accommodate nothing higher then a 6 UVI at the screen top. Then raising the branch so it is in the 2.5-3 UVI range.

I am really glad you got the solarmeter. Most do not and this really is an important tool to have and know your exacts.

Either way you need a top but the wider kitchen one wouldn't need one as big as the bathroom one to compensate for the narrower depth. Thinking through it I realized the kitchen one would make more sense. Your reasoning is spot on and sort of obvious but I needed to think through it myself!
Not everyone is aware that the two types of cabinets have different dimensions. When you're standing at a vanity and washing your hands, it doesn't occur to many that the cabinet is 3" shallower and 3" shorter.

Sitting a 24" deep enclosure on top of a vanity will work, but it's going to stick out 3" someplace—front, back, or split the difference.

Converting (old and/or new) tall kitchen cabinets into enclosures, replete with drainage/storage below and lighting/misting up top also works out very nicely.

I wasn't aware until I started looking at them for this project! A plywood top of the correct dimensions or even a bit larger will work too. I/4 inch is probably not strong enough even for a relatively light weight screened enclosure but 1/2 inch shod do it.

Yes, it should be a minimum of around 8” away from the basking branch. What’s your basking temp?

Yup, he’ll go through a screen-climbing phase. What species are you getting, and what breeder are you getting him from (not all are safe to buy from)?
My basking area is 85-90. im getting a panther chameleon, ambanja. from Cloud9chameleons. it seems like a newer breeder but she has been sending updates and the chameleon looks healthy.

I wasn't aware until I started looking at them for this project! A plywood top of the correct dimensions or even a bit larger will work too. I/4 inch is probably not strong enough even for a relatively light weight screened enclosure but 1/2 inch shod do it.
It would depend on the type & quality of plywood and the weight of the enclosure plus whatever is on top of it. Some ¼" plywoods (e.g. Baltic Birch) could do it very well.

What I would not recommend are particle or fiber boards (e.g. Masonite®, melamine, Homasote®, MDF, etc.) because they can't stand up to any moisture/water getting on them (tend to disintegrate).
Also, I think Marine plywood would be overkill/overexpense.

So, yeah... I agree—½" plywood is probably the best choice for most. I've seen some other products, but they're a bit exotic and likely not worth the extra cost.

So what about 4 month 80 max ? Or 85 ?
I keep a 4 year old Male veiled no hotter than 82. This becomes an issue with many people thinking they are right. We give a range here. If it were me though I would not keep a veiled or panther male 85. At the age you have 80 would be the max I would do.

I keep a 4 year old Male veiled no hotter than 82. This becomes an issue with many people thinking they are right. We give a range here. If it were me though I would not keep a veiled or panther male 85. At the age you have 80 would be the max I would do.
What bulb you using a 50 wat basking ?

I read Panthers need temps higher then valids but I always had valids I wann get my own panther one day

I read Panthers need temps higher then valids but I always had valids I wann get my own panther one day
Like I said it is a range... Some breeders are sticking with the much hotter temps because that is what works for them. Others are going with the 80-85 range for adults because it is said to give them a longer life span.

Back
Top Bottom