My 2 year old chameleon

kenny1212

i have a 2 year old chameleon named kenny who i adopted off of a friend who could no longer take care of him. he has settled in perfectly but this last month i have noticed something on him that looks rather unusual. i’m not sure if this was present when i got him or if it new. His behaviour has been completely normal, he’s eating and drinking with no issues. he has a vet appointment next monday for a check up and i’m planning on bringing this up. If anyone has any ideas what this is please let me know.
this photo was a month ago.
it appears as if it has slightly grown since this photo was taken, i will try and get another photo tomorrow.
thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2806.jpeg
    IMG_2806.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 42
i have a 2 year old chameleon named kenny who i adopted off of a friend who could no longer take care of him. he has settled in perfectly but this last month i have noticed something on him that looks rather unusual. i’m not sure if this was present when i got him or if it new. His behaviour has been completely normal, he’s eating and drinking with no issues. he has a vet appointment next monday for a check up and i’m planning on bringing this up. If anyone has any ideas what this is please let me know.
it appears as if it has slightly grown since this photo was taken, i will try and get another photo tomorrow.
thanks.
Welcome to you and Kenny! You are in a great place for advice! I’m not sure what it is, so I’ll let others address that. However, it will be helpful to them if you fill out these questions as well as upload some photos of the entire enclosure including the lights.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

thanks.
Ummm…what exactly are you concerned about…the ‘swelling’ at the base of the tail? If that’s it…well, let’s just say he’s definitely a he. ;)

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Panther chameleon, Male, 2 year old, i have been looking after him for 6 months.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? i try to handle him once every couple days.
  • Feeding - feeding my chameleon a mix of silkworms, dubka roaches and locusts, 3 items every 2 days. They are all gut loaded.
  • Supplements - Earth A pro every most days, revitalise D3 once every two weeks.
  • Watering - i use a mist king system to mist his enclosure, there are about four 5 min periods throughout the night, i put a dropper on for him around 5pm.
  • Fecal Description - urates are normal colour as well as the fecal matter. he has never been tested for parasites though.
  • History - according to who i got them from he’s never had any issues before.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - 24x24x48 hybrid enclosure with live plants.
  • Lighting - arcadia t5 high output bulb 6% uvb with an arcadia 75w floodlight heat bulb. one Led light for plant growth.
  • Temperature - basking spot temperature is around 29 degrees celsius and the lower area in enclosure is about 25 degrees. measures with laser thermometer
  • Humidity - day time humidity is around 50-60% and night time is between 80-100%.
  • Plants - pothos plant, ficus benjamina, and alocasia plant.
  • Placement - enclosure is in a spare room and is elevated off the ground for the drainage system and to provide some height for kenny.
  • Location - South england.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 40
Do you mean the pale line down the center? Is it bumpy? Is there something sharp that maybe he has been rubbing his tail on? Has he had a recent shed?

Do you mean the pale line down the center? Is it bumpy? Is there something sharp that maybe he has been rubbing his tail on? Has he had a recent shed?
sorry i probably should have been a bit more clear with the issue, that is the only photo i could get at the moment and it isn’t very clear. it is the pale line down the centre. the previous photo is a month old and it’s gotten a little larger, and also slightly bumpy. i haven’t seen anything sharp that could harm him but i will check again in the morning. i’ll also get a better photo 👍

Can you take a few pics of the entire cham for us... What you are concerned about is the base of the tail and in males this is where the hemipenes are (reproductive organs). Sometimes these can become more swollen if they are not shedding their sperm plugs properly. That's when you have an issue. But it would be helpful to see your entire boy so we can see overall look of everything. The line down the center just looks like his scales. I am not seeing any obvious signs of a prior wound.

thank you for all your help, here are some photos i took this afternoon. i’m not sure if i’m just being paranoid it’s just it seems it’s progressed over the month and has changed colour and i don’t remember seeing it when i first got him.

Attachments

• IMG_2864.jpeg
    IMG_2864.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2863.jpeg
    IMG_2863.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2865.jpeg
    IMG_2865.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2867.jpeg
    IMG_2867.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2842.jpeg
    IMG_2842.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2742.jpeg
    IMG_2742.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 51
thank you for all your help, here are some photos i took this afternoon. i’m not sure if i’m just being paranoid it’s just it seems it’s progressed over the month and has changed colour and i don’t remember seeing it when i first got him.
He looks good to me. The line looks normal. I have seen that on other chams as they mature.

Back
Top Bottom