Multi-species habitats?

Angelwolf

Chameleon Enthusiast
Has anyone ever tried a multi-species habitat? Namely, for fruit fly control. I'm just over run with these darn gnats and fruit flies due to the fact that I have 2 large bioactive habitats in my living room. I know some species of chameleons will eat small geckos and such, but what about a green anole? Or some sort of non poisonous frog? Salamander? I have a male and female veiled. Both are very sweet and are content when being handled. So my point is, they're not the type of chams that will sit in the corner of their cage and hiss at you when you enter the room. When I open their enclosure, they eagerly come out and explore. I'm not interested in hearing the old stigma of "these animals have no use for human interaction or feelings - blah, blah, blah". Sorry if that offends, but I know that not to be true, and I don't want to be involved in any crazy arguments that turn vile. I'm interested in hearing from people who have tried the "unheard of" and who share the new school of thought on these fabulous animals.

Not trying to argue or be rude, but an animal not attacking you when you go near it doesn't mean it needs or wants your presence. And it definitely does not mean that it will do well with another reptile/amphibian in it's small enclosure. It's not a stigma, it's really just the reality of it. Anthropomorphizing is a dangerous thing to preach. Don't care to change your mind, but any idiot(I don't mean you OP, but newbies that may come on here and take your words the wrong way) can look at this and go oh look this person has a chameleon that likes people, mine does too! Let's add some friends in for it!

But why make a thread insisting you don't want an argument and then proceed to passive aggressively insult anyone that doesn't feel the same way 'i don't want to hear from people that don't share the new school of thought, sorry if it offends blah blah blah'. It seems like you're just trying to get a rise out of anyone that disagrees with you.

There's been tons of threads about this, I've posted dozens of times that drosera capensis will control gnats better than any other method if it's a bad infestation. If it's smaller scale there are other methods people have posted about.

Last edited:
@Angelwolf I've been thinking about this thread and I know you to be a very good keeper and that you would never cuddle or miss handle your chameleons. I'm sure that your's do in fact come out of their own free will and not under duress and you can tell the difference. My only concern is that people with less experience will take this as permission to grab and cuddle.
Back to your actual question, Veiled have a varied diet in the wild and can be seen all over youtube eating a variety of other species including birds and small mammals. I can't imagine anything but a well hidden nocturnal species having a prayer of survival and that won't solve your problem. Even if they were too large to eat a veiled defending their territory will tongue strike other animals to drive them out and away.
I have used beneficial nemotodes that eat fly larvae in the soil to control fungus gnat problems. I don't know the affect on your bio-active soil unfortunately as I am no expert in that area.
I'm sorry if this was not the response you were looking for.

Not trying to argue or be rude, but an animal not attacking you when you go near it doesn't mean it needs or wants your presence. And it definitely does not mean that it will do well with another reptile/amphibian in it's small enclosure. It's not a stigma, it's really just the reality of it. Anthropomorphizing is a dangerous thing to preach. Don't care to change your mind, but any idiot(I don't mean you OP, but newbies that may come on here and take your words the wrong way) can look at this and go oh look this person has a chameleon that likes people, mine does too! Let's add some friends in for it!

But why make a thread insisting you don't want an argument and then proceed to passive aggressively insult anyone that doesn't feel the same way 'i don't want to hear from people that don't share the new school of thought, sorry if it offends blah blah blah'. It seems like you're just trying to get a rise out of anyone that disagrees with you.

There's been tons of threads about this, I've posted dozens of times that drosera capensis will control gnats better than any other method if it's a bad infestation. If it's smaller scale there are other methods people have posted about.
I just wanted to avoid being jumped on by several people for even asking the question. I know how things can get on here, sometimes. That's all. I understand that there are people who disagree with me. It's just that I did not want this thread to turn into an attack on me. I'm sorry if that's how you took it. That was not my intention.
Even if they were too large to eat a veiled defending their territory will tongue strike other animals to drive them out and away.
I have used beneficial nemotodes that eat fly larvae in the soil to control fungus gnat problems.
I didn't know about them using their tongue to drive off other animals. Thanks for the education on that. And I will have to look into the nematodes.
Multi species setups need to be designed that way from the start. They are not easy or small.

I would not put animals together unless it’s the primary goals.
I don’t know if anything would do well with chams.
Thank you for your input.

I try and it’s possible but with real knowledge of both speacies so im not sure i should post this here cause it can encourage less experienced people to try and consequences can be quite a disaster;) can you show few pictures of your cages?:)

I try and it’s possible but with real knowledge of both speacies so im not sure i should post this here cause it can encourage less experienced people to try and consequences can be quite a disaster;) what speacies of chameleon do you got?
A male and female veiled chameleons. You are welcome to PM me, if you like.

Back
Top Bottom