Mr. Grumpy not thriving after eye infection

Background:
My 7mo old male chameleon developed an eye infection @ 6-8 wks ago. By the time I realized he was not eating, he was very very weak. I took him to the vet twice over course of illness. We used antibiotics and I had to hand feed him with a syringe to get his strength back.
Now, he is mildly active again but he will not hunt.
His eye can still get crusty, so I gently clear in am. But he will not hunt. He will not eat unless I pressure his mouth to open and I put a meal worm inside.
He won’t eat out of my hand or what is right in front of him.
He used to be very active before illness. Now requires daily hand care.

Hi there. Welcome to the forum. Can you please post pics of the chameleon and of the cage he is in including the lighting on top?

C164850C-8F29-4AAF-8D32-86150953A885.jpeg
02CA3A4E-D946-4EE9-8F1E-A59BD0CD796D.jpeg
822ACB7B-0935-4422-BDD0-866E4DCEE3FB.jpeg

So part of the issue is he does not have a major component to keep him healthy and thriving. This is the UVB lighting you are using. It is incorrect. The coil bulbs do not penetrate deep enough into the enclosure to provide the correct UVB levels.
You want a T5HO linear fixture that goes the width to the cage and a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb for it. Then your basking branches/vines would be 8-9 inches below it.
Like this one https://www.amazon.com/DBDPet-Repti...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Also if you could take more picture of the cham that would be helpful. Without the screen in between. I am not sure that you have a male.

I agree with filling out the husbandry form that was linked for you above.

So part of the issue is he does not have a major component to keep him healthy and thriving. This is the UVB lighting you are using. It is incorrect. The coil bulbs do not penetrate deep enough into the enclosure to provide the correct UVB levels.
You want a T5HO linear fixture that goes the width to the cage and a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb for it. Then your basking branches/vines would be 8-9 inches below it.
Like this one https://www.amazon.com/DBDPet-Reptisun-Hood-UV-B-Bulb/dp/B08NMV6MPC/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?crid=2NA245HN5LUCF&keywords=t5ho+reptile+light+fixture+24+inch+reptisun&qid=1683391028&sprefix=t5ho+reptile+light+fixture+24+inch+reptisun,aps,131&sr=8-12-spons&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc&psc=1&smid=A2WEJLCAOIFG4U&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRjU5UjZQVkNYVTBMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODM1Njg2MkQ1RTYxTEsyRENXNyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzgyNTU4TUw5V1lCNlZVWlVYJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Also if you could take more picture of the cham that would be helpful. Without the screen in between. I am not sure that you have a male.

I agree with filling out the husbandry form that was linked for you above.
My cage isn’t long enough for a linear light like that.
He usually spends his time at the top, so I’m not sure I understand why it needs to penetrate so deeply.
This was a set up we could afford and which fit recommendations from pet store.

He used to eat about 5 lrg crickets a day. He was an active hunter. We also gave him lrg meal worms dusted in vitamin powder pretty frequently.

He used a water stopper system pretty effectively. We watched him drink from it in store before we purchased him.
Now I am running a warm air humidifier for a period of time each day and misting him multiple times.

After his illness, I syringe fed him a carnivore meal supplement powder that I mixed into a paste. I purchased it from his vet.

We purchased him as a little fella in September 2022. He grew quickly and she’d multiple times.

He was handled infrequently before illness. Now, as I said initially, I am needing to handle him for care daily.

My cage isn’t long enough for a linear light like that.
He usually spends his time at the top, so I’m not sure I understand why it needs to penetrate so deeply.
This was a set up we could afford and which fit recommendations from pet store.

He used to eat about 5 lrg crickets a day. He was an active hunter. We also gave him lrg meal worms dusted in vitamin powder pretty frequently.

He used a water stopper system pretty effectively. We watched him drink from it in store before we purchased him.
Now I am running a warm air humidifier for a period of time each day and misting him multiple times.

After his illness, I syringe fed him a carnivore meal supplement powder that I mixed into a paste. I purchased it from his vet.

We purchased him as a little fella in September 2022. He grew quickly and she’d multiple times.

He was handled infrequently before illness. Now, as I said initially, I am needing to handle him for care daily.

I understand that it may be frustrating to get different information here vs the pet store. However 99% of chams purchased in pet stores are sold with the incorrect set ups. And almost all of those are sold with the incorrect UVB lighting. This leads to infections, decline, Metabolic Bone Disease, and eventually death.

Chameleons are one of the most complex animals I have ever kept. They are also one of the most expensive to set up in a proper enclosure with the right stuff to support health and thriving. Unfortunately Pet stores to not typically explain to people the difficulty or the expense that comes with keeping chameleons.

Without the proper lighting your chameleon will continue to decline. The cage I am guessing is a chameleon kit size which is also much too small. So that is why I gave you the link for the 24 inch fixture. An adult chameleon has to have a 2x2x4ft enclosure which the light I gave you the link for will fit.

There are additional aspects like supplements that if you were told to buy the wrong ones can contribute to extreme health issues.

Young Chameleons should be taking down more like 2 dozen crickets a day. This is very typical under 9 months old. Due to their rapid growth rate. One reason your cham was eating so few is due to the UVB lighting. The UVB lighting is what stimulates their appetite as well. It is the equivalent of what the sun does for them in the wild.

This link will help teach you what you need to make the environment right for the chameleon to start to heal. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Without changes the cham will continue to decline. I am not trying to be harsh just very honest. Taking the cham back to the vet at this point is not something I would do. Based on the enclosure the husbandry issues are the cause of why he is not bouncing back and why the eyes are still having major issues. Without the cage changes and lighting changes you will just waste money at the vet.

If you have any questions about what you read in the husbandry program please let us know.

I think I’m going to have to rehome him.
I’m going to try to join some local reptile lover groups on FB and see if I can find an experienced person Interested.
I feel really bad realizing I’ve been the problem all along.
Thank you for your help.

I’m going to try to join some local reptile lover groups on FB and see if I can find an experienced person Interested.
Thank you for your help.
Don't feel bad you were informed wrong. You are doing an admirable thing to consider his needs and rehome.

Thank you for your help.
Hi. :) If you wish to keep him or her (it’s essential to be certain of gender & we can help), there are a few budget friendly ways to get a proper set up. You could check on FB marketplace or Craig’sList for a gently used 2x2x4’ enclosure and maybe even can find a T5ho light fixture. If you live somewhere that is warm enough, getting daily sun and have the time, you could take him/her outside for 20-30 minutes for some (fully supervised) natural uvb until you can get the correct fixture for inside. I sit in my backyard holding my animal or have it on something appropriate for it on the table just inches away from me. Although the cost would probably be the same, you could build your own enclosure. Some use XL old curios or China cabinets (can find super cheap or even free) and then fit it out with screen and water proofing. For inside, natural branches are free and just need to be cleaned. Avoid pine and other sappy or aromatic woods. For plants, check with you family and friends if they have some pothos, philodendron or tradescantia zebrina (wandering Jew) that they would give you clippings of to start new plants. I love the clearance sections for plants at Walmart and the big box home improvement stores. For a few bucks and a bit of tlc, you can get some nice plants. The correct dietary supplements - there isn’t any substitution. You do need a phosphorus free calcium without D3 and a good multivitamin and D3. However, you can get the multivitamin and D3 as a combo which is easiest anyhow - Repashy calcium plus LoD or Reptivite with D3 are great ones. If you have gotten the chameleon kit, you should have gotten samples of those two. Another option which is super easy to get everything you need and you can finance if needed is this. https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...tarter-chameleon-kit-by-neptune-the-chameleon
I understand too well if none of these options fit the budget. Chameleons are expensive and challenging animals to keep. If you still need or wish to rehome, you could try making another post here but be sure to list your general vicinity. Keep in mind that it takes a great deal of love to put aside your own feelings and act for what’s best for your animal. 💗

Back
Top Bottom