Mold problem

Hello everyone,

I have got this panther chameleon for almost a month now, but I just found out there are numerous spots of black mold appeared on my light coloured branches. I worry if this is a potenital health risk for my chameleon, if so how do I remove it properly?

I have attached photos for reference. As for the humidity is around 50-70 during the day, and at least 70 during sleeping time. I mist 3 times a day for 60-90 seconds, rarely use the fogger as it is not working most of the time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Attachments

• IMG_5493.jpg
    IMG_5493.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5494.jpg
    IMG_5494.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 35
Hi. That looks like grapevine that’s molding. It hasn’t come up in a very long time, but I do seem to remember something about grapevine not doing well with the amount of moisture of a chameleon enclosure. I would suggest removing it and instead, get some tree branches from outside. Just avoid pine, eucalyptus and others that are either sappy or aromatic. No need to remove bark, sterilize or any of that. Give a little wash/scrub with dish soap, rinse very well, sun dry and they’re ready to go. I use a plastic scrub brush and whatever doesn’t come off, gets to stay so many of my branches have lichen and it looks nice to me.

Hi. That looks like grapevine that’s molding. It hasn’t come up in a very long time, but I do seem to remember something about grapevine not doing well with the amount of moisture of a chameleon enclosure. I would suggest removing it and instead, get some tree branches from outside. Just avoid pine, eucalyptus and others that are either sappy or aromatic. No need to remove bark, sterilize or any of that. Give a little wash/scrub with dish soap, rinse very well, sun dry and they’re ready to go. I use a plastic scrub brush and whatever doesn’t come off, gets to stay so many of my branches have lichen and it looks nice to me.
Thanks. I did not think through when choosing the branches. Now that I have cleaned up most of the black spots, can I just apply sphagnum moss on the branches with glue to keep the branches from molding in the future?

Back
Top Bottom