Modifying the mineral profile of crickets (Acheta domesticus) using a supplemented diet...

I think it’s interesting stuff. After reading some other similar research, I have been adding a little Herptivite to my gut load. I stopped adding calcium after I had read about the constipation and death in the feeders. I did lose a few crickets when I was consistently adding calcium to their diet, but no Dubia, discoids, or superworms died.
Previous research showed linear relationships between calcium supplementation and feeder Ca content in crickets and silkworms.
I decided to stick with vitamin supplements in the gut load along with spirulina and chorella algae powder, but removed the calcium to avoid feeder losses.
I’m still confused about which form of Vit A is best for chameleon bioavailability

@Do Z said..."I’m still confused about which form of Vit A is best for chameleon bioavailability"...me too. For years I only used beta carotene sources for veiled chameleons and they seem to be fine with that. Panthers also seemed to be fine with it I think. The "safest" may still be to cover all bases by giving s little prEformed once in a very long while and then using beta carotene most of the time.

Thanks. Why beta carotene most of the time and preformed occasionally? Is this safest to avoid over-supplementation?

I’m an anesthesiologist. So I don’t know anything about chameleon biology, just biology in general. And thus I don’t mind researching a topic, and love it when there’s scientific studies to examine and alter my practice with
I’ve really enjoyed how this community has banded together to maximize the quality of life of these amazing animals. There are major gaps in the scientific evidence for “ideal care”, but you all have combined your years of experience, successes, and failures to give chameleons the care and respect they deserve.

Providing appropriate living conditions for chameleons is neither simple nor inexpensive. I feel like nutrition is an area that can somewhat protect any animal under less than ideal living conditions by giving it the strength to endure extra stress. Thus, I’m really interested in making sure my chameleon is getting the best nutrition I can provide in the event some sort of environmental stress occurs (right now I seem to be his biggest stress ?). I’m striving to ensure his living conditions are also ideal

I was under surveillance today while doing some cage improvements (hopefully Calcifer thinks it’s improved)

Attachments

• 2D47B8A4-698C-47EA-833E-CDB2F04DA58D.jpeg
    2D47B8A4-698C-47EA-833E-CDB2F04DA58D.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 69
  • D736C022-4C31-49FE-82D5-E9ED7ADAA8D8.jpeg
    D736C022-4C31-49FE-82D5-E9ED7ADAA8D8.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 8F69BD63-172C-40CE-AEA5-5C1CAABCFBE7.jpeg
    8F69BD63-172C-40CE-AEA5-5C1CAABCFBE7.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 79
Thanks. Why beta carotene most of the time and preformed occasionally? Is this safest to avoid over-supplementation?
I think it is.

The beta carotene is safe whether they can convert it or not because the body only converts what it needs. So ...this keeps people from overdosing vitamin A if they happen to use the vitamins too heavily. And since my vitamin also has NO D3 in it (I use the calcium/D3 to provide the D3) it lowers the risk IMHO of overdosing the D3 too. It then leaves it up to the owner to decide if/when their chameleon needs vitamin A...whichnImhole makes them think about it a bit more.

You also need to balance the vitamin A and D3 because they are somewhat antagonistic to each other and an imbalance can lead to a form of MBD.

Congratulations on being an anesthesiologist! Anesthetizing chameleons seems to be interesting! I know a little bit about it!

These are great thanks. Im definitely interested in reading about induction/maintenance of anesthesia and physiologic monitoring
I’ve been eyeing Mader’s Reptile and amphibian medicine and surgery too. Probably will pick that up so I can dive deeper into reptile medicine

Back
Top Bottom