Misting

Jd♂️♂️

Established Member
What are some really good misting pumps I could use for misting besides mistking ? Reason I say not mistking this would be the third one I bought an motor shit the bed did everything I could to try an make it work tryin to avoid hand misting but if I have to that I will do …

No personal experience, but when I was researching for my own, MistKing & CliMist seemed to be #s 1 & 2. Check out CliMist in the archives.

Also in the archives, DIY Mister, DIY Misting System

All are essentially aquarium pumps, so the fishfolk here may have some input. My MK starter is rated at 0.55 litres/min. ( ~8.75 US gal/hr), so something in that neighborhood...
I'm finding Amazon a bit overwhelming ATM, but try your local Home Improvement chains as well.

Happy Hunting! :p

What are some really good misting pumps I could use for misting besides mistking ? Reason I say not mistking this would be the third one I bought an motor shit the bed did everything I could to try an make it work tryin to avoid hand misting but if I have to that I will do …
You Tube has some diy misting vidios. I did ALOT of looking too!. Found some nice RV pumps but they all had like faucet actuated on off switches ( pressure ) I opted to just buy the v5 Ultimate Kit with the bigger pump.Now I have spare and expansion parts

Last edited:
Coming from the reef aquarium hobby into chams.
Ran some extensive tests on home made pump setups, Tunze, Mags, Fluvals, etc... including using brass heads from an outdoor misting system, some irrigation heads, and more.
I ordered a mist king for comparisons with intention to return it based on performance.
Once I started it up I immediately broke down my other experiments.
Runs so well that the next time I need a pump for my mixing station or ATO (auto top off) I'm, ironically, buying the MK pump and modifying it.

I can't see how or why you might have had 3 bad units in a row. I've had mine run dry a few times (once for considerable time) to no ill effect.
Did you communicate with their customer service? If so, how did it work out?

If you're going homemade, I'd recommend looking into the Avast Marine peristaltic pumps. They're workhorses, have a decent push for head height, can run dry for hours, and are relatively affordable, though small. I use them exclusively for a number of applications for my reef tanks.
Unsure if they'd have enough power to push more than one mist head.

At least one of my mistkings runs dry a week. I have starter and the next one up. Both never had prob with then also never had problem with the heads. I have a version 4 and 5

I can't see how or why you might have had 3 bad units in a row. I've had mine run dry a few times (once for considerable time) to no ill effect.
Did you communicate with their customer service? If so, how did it work out?

OP created another thread asking about mist king and the 3 failures about 3 days earlier this this post. In there I asked if they were purging the lines of air at the furthest/highest mist head.

Never answered that question...

When my pump runs dry, and it does weekly since that's basically my reminder to refill my reservoir, I have to remove the tubing and purge the line of air before it will pump water through the mist heads.

I believe that based on 3 bad units back to back to back its user error and not mist kings fault.

Never had to do that. At least I'm not only one that let's run dry to remind me

Never had to do that. At least I'm not only one that let's run dry to remind me
I can't say I've let it (Starter v5.0) run dry, but it's happened .... Since I mist at night (in lieu of fogging) it's missed up to 5 or 6 two-minute sessions at a time. Oddly, I've never had to purge the lines when that happens; it spits & sputters, but gets running again within a few seconds.

Runs so well that the next time I need a pump for my mixing station or ATO (auto top off) I'm, ironically, buying the MK pump and modifying it.
IDK if this will help, but a couple pump options were mentioned in this DIY thread.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/looking-for-mist-king-specifications.156051/

It runs out of water. I only have 7 gallon res. I am running 9 heads on mine. Says you can run 20 on one I have. Also have the smaller pump one that says runs 10 but at 7 you notice a drop. I run both dry at least 2 3 times month with no probs yet. I forget to add water sometime. I never have to prime pump. The pump is 6 inches lower on both pumps.

It runs out of water. I only have 7 gallon res. I am running 9 heads on mine. Says you can run 20 on one I have. Also have the smaller pump one that says runs 10 but at 7 you notice a drop. I run both dry at least 2 3 times month with no probs yet. I forget to add water sometime. I never have to prime pump. The pump is 6 inches lower on both pumps.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom