mesh enclosure

johnandlyn

hi all at the mo we have an all glass enclosure should we really be getting a mesh one instead (exo terrs flexarium)we are a little conserned as to how it will hold the temp needed as it is completely mesh thanks :)

A heat lamp focused on a basking spot should be sufficient, if more heat is needed in the winter I add a ceramic heat source to boost temps.

It's always best if the chameleon can be in the warmest room in the house. I have my cham in my office because the computer runs all day and keeps the temps higher in there.

I have two of the four sides of my cage sealed off with plastic to prevent overspray. This also helps with humidity and temp control.

he will be kept in the living room which is normaly warm if we got an all mesh enclosure and covered two of the sides with plastic do you think that would be good enuf or would you say to get one with wooden sides and a glass front

i live in the uk and have built my own viv with wood sides and roof and glass sliding front doors with 2 larger mesh vents at the back and 2 smaller ones at the sides, its quite big and airy inside as the cham im getting is a small dwarf jackson pair, i think as long as its big enough for your cham to climbe around like a converted wardrobe )thids is always a good option) and there are vents it should be ok...depending what speceis it is.... if its a yemans he will be fine in a flexi as they can tollerat alot and lower humidity is fine for them providing they are misted 2 time a day,and at nigh as it helps them sleep if temps are lower so turn all the heat of at nigh... during the day follow instructions above for basking light suspended above the viv ,have a play with the wattage and distance to get the ambient air temps at the right level and use a uv strip light half way down the viv....depending where he spends most of his time. need to be able to get withing 6 inches of the u.v....or you could use a mercury vapour bulb for heat and u.v combined and back it up witha low u.v strip light like an arcadia 2.0% u.v for added light ,good luck.:D
??

It doesnt matter what the enclosure is made of, so long as it meets the environmental needs of the chameleon - meaning, is not going to hurt their feet/toes/tongue, provides the correct temp gradient and allows for support of lights, allows some air flow, keeps humidty in a good range, big enough, etc.

Back
Top Bottom