MBD? Concerning

JackiedeVeiled

Metabolic Bone Disease Concerns.
ive been away from my chameleon and had family taking care of her and I’m currently looking for opinions as of right now. Any info would help!

Attachments

• 418AF3CF-D068-41AC-BFAF-8FDDAAE2F76A.jpeg
    418AF3CF-D068-41AC-BFAF-8FDDAAE2F76A.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 5A0BF145-2A61-4B85-95F6-A3624A593D25.jpeg
    5A0BF145-2A61-4B85-95F6-A3624A593D25.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 72
  • BCA615CE-8A81-42B2-804D-987DD48EDC5C.jpeg
    BCA615CE-8A81-42B2-804D-987DD48EDC5C.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 74
  • FC711EE9-B43F-4DC1-B327-9AB404788620.jpeg
    FC711EE9-B43F-4DC1-B327-9AB404788620.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 75
I am not seeing any signs of MBD but this does not mean there is not an issue that has not presented externally. However the red light is really not good for a chameleons eyes. Should be a plain white incandescent bulb.

Per the MBD worry. If UVB lighting is correct and supplementation is correct then there should not be MBD risk.

So this comes down to what UVB lighting are you using and what supplements are you dusting the feeders with along with what is the schedule?

I am not seeing any signs of MBD but this does not mean there is not an issue that has not presented externally. However the red light is really not good for a chameleons eyes. Should be a plain white incandescent bulb.

Per the MBD worry. If UVB lighting is correct and supplementation is correct then there should not be MBD risk.

So this comes down to what UVB lighting are you using and what supplements are you dusting the feeders with along with what is the schedule?
I recently purchased a uva day light 75W, then a Blue bulb with 60w. Plus a few red, but with this information I’ll rid of them. Is there supposed to be any light during the night for her?

I haven’t used any supplements during feeding but as of so far she has a dozen crickets apx every other day

I recently purchased a uva day light 75W, then a Blue bulb with 60w. Plus a few red, but with this information I’ll rid of them. Is there supposed to be any light during the night for her?

I haven’t used any supplements during feeding but as of so far she has a dozen crickets apx every other day
You should not use anything at night... No red at all during the day and you should never need any bulb wattage higher then 75 watt for heat. You have to have the correct UVB lighting and supplementation though or MBD is guaranteed to happen.

Should be using calcium without D3 at all feedings and then Two times a month use something like repashy calcium plus LOD or Reptivite with D3.

T5HO fixture with a linear 5.0 or 6% uvb bulb at a distance of 8-9 inches away from her highest branch.

Metabolic Bone Disease Concerns.
ive been away from my chameleon and had family taking care of her and I’m currently looking for opinions as of right now. Any info would help!
Those wonderful members answering your thread are correct about the lighting. UVB gives offno heat and is essentially a grow light for reptiles. Without it your buddy will develope mbd. I dont see mbd in the pics you posted but you know your cham better then anyone. I would immediately start an outside routine so your cham can get some direct sunlight and indirect sunlight. not too long 5-10 minutes of each depending on the heat. Also i got a dimmer switch for the 75 watt basking bulb with it being summer i dont need a lot of heat. I also have the basking light and the uvb on an auto time from 9am to 9pm. I adjust for daylight. Chams sleep best when its fully dark because they have the comfort of concealment in the dark. i know the stressers when you have to have others care for your cham. I like to supplement with hornworms whenever i have to use a babysitter so i am assurred of enough water and calcium while i am Away. plus newbies atent so freaked out handling them as they are with crickets. Please fix the lighting asap. best of luck to you. Glad you reached out

Back
Top Bottom