Manzanita Bark

Marc10edora

Avid Member
I've notice that my cham is starting to eat the bark from my manzanita branches. I think he's trying to get some missing supplements from his diet. My last cham ate soil from time to time. With this cham I covered access to the soil. Does anyone think it is okay to let him eat the bark?

I know manzanita is a very safe wood. I am able to use it with my birds and chinchillas, which are both very sensitive to things. I would curious as to why he would be eating it though. Birds and chinchillas are chewers, but with my lizard I would be worried about possible impactions.

I know manzanita is a very safe wood. I am able to use it with my birds and chinchillas, which are both very sensitive to things. I would curious as to why he would be eating it though. Birds and chinchillas are chewers, but with my lizard I would be worried about possible impactions.

I've been watching him closely. It's been going on for about two weeks. He's been pooping daily, so I think impaction is not an issue. I think I will change up my gutload for my crickets. He seems to be substituting for some missing minerals or something.

Have you tried feeding some veggies? Do you have a live plant in the cage? I put some kale in the cages and my chams nibble on it a couple times a day.

Isn't it more likely a sign of hunger or boredom rather than possession of an unlikely sixth sense of vitamin & mineral balance?

I don't know if it is hunger. He eats 12 crickets a day. Boredom, I don't think chams can get bored. Their life is already kinda boring. They just eat, sleep, bask, crap and breed if their lucky.

Back
Top Bottom