Male Vield Chameleon Acting Weird

errlthecham

My Chameleon is a Male, Year and a half old, Vield Chameleon and he has been with us since january 2014 (he was a baby then). He is a very friendly cham, he likes to climb on us all the time and we handle him daily as he is a free range / cage chameleon. He spends most of his time on a few artificial vines that are nailed to a window in my apartment so he can look outside and receive some natural sunlight when it is sunny. We feed him a mix of crickets and horn worms, sometimes silk worms if our local shop has any in stock. We feed the bugs any sort of green veggies we have in the house for example cucumber and celery but its not always the same food. Feeding is daily, and we hand feed him like always. We were giving him a multi vitiman as well as calcium + D3 for almost a year only on the crickets. A few weeks ago we noticed him open mouth breathing and we stopped giving him supplaments (was reading on here and saw that over supplamentation can lead to a resp. infection / swollen glands in his neck) and sure enough after two days no supplaments he stopped breathing out of his mouth. The brand of supplament i think is "EXOTERRA". We mist him multiple times a day (anytime we think about it 5-10 times daily) using a plastic spray bottle that mists not shoots a stream of water at him but he rarley has ever drank straight from a leaf (maybe 10 times ever). His feces look to be the same as they have always been moist little sausages and a bit of white stuff comes out sometimes aswell (looks like bird **** kinda). He is in a mesh cage that is about 5ft tall X 2 ft wide X 1 ft deep. Not sure exactly what type of bulb we have for his light but he is only under it for a few hrs a day. The person at the store said it was the best one they had for reptiles (UVA UVB and UVC i think? forgive my lack of knowlegde). His basking spot is about 85F and the rest of the cage is in the mid 70F's. Their is a temp gauge in his cage right near the basking spot and the rest of the cage is about room temp or slightly warmer. Not sure on the humidity but i live in the pacific north west so it ususally quite humid here (60-100%) most of the time as we live right on the ocean. He lives mostly on a money tree (Pachira aquatica) and has eaten a few leaves off of it before randomly but seems to like them sometimes. The cage is located in our main living room and we dont have many people over so he isnt really around more than just me and my girl friend for a few hrs a day as we both work durring the day.

CURRENT PROBLEM:
He is usually super active and almost annoying how much he wants to crawl around and climb things. As of the 24th he has been acting kinda weird just sitting in one place not really moving. He will eat still, and and his colour looks normal.. but he just seems depressed or something.. his eyes are kinda squinty as well but not sunken into his head. he kinda just looks really tired? not sure how else to explain it. I am worried he may be constipated or maybe its his first spring at full size and he has no mate or somthing? One other thing i have noticed is that he usually gets kinda pissed off when we spray him (water is always room temp) and now he just doesnt care when we spray him, just closed his eyes for a second and back to doing nothing. This is my first reptile ever so im sure im not doing everything completely right but any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated, would hate to lose my guy so early in his short life. Thank you

Attachments

• 20150427_105038.jpg
    20150427_105038.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 125
i need to paste it to the feed? i just had the "how to ask for help" page up and just went down the list answering all the questions in order.. i still need to paste it to the wall anyway?

thank you for the quick reply, sorry if im not doing this right, iv never poste on a forum before, please forgive my ignorance

will do when i get home from work. is there something in the photo your looking for that i can maybe tell you without a photo? i will for sure take more when i am home from work. but these are some pics of him through out this life if these help at all.. https://instagram.com/errlthecham/

I'm not really sure about this. You might want to do more research before you take what I say. I have a female veiled. Last weekend I replaced her umbrella tree (which she eats on a monthly basis) with a money tree (I have recently posted about this).

Being a fairly new Chameleon parent and depending mostly on Petsmart employees and the internet, I'm not really sure what is ok and what is not.

I did a quick search while at the nursery on the trusty iPhone and bought the money tree. If you search the net in more detail the reviews are mixed on these plants, very mixed.

Some say they have used them for years and some say FDA states they are very toxic. Others even go as far as to say they emit poisonous toxins into the air.

I have temporarily pulled mine out and am going to a reptile expo this weekend where I will ask more questions about eat.

Mine is a plant destroyer and eater so the information I found freaked me out.

Just a suggestion to try something different rather than a costly vet visit or worse. Like I said, I'm not sure, just sharing information I found.

just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted on here, my little guy is doing much better now. @megadiamond i have read similar things about money trees and he has been living on it and eating it for over a year now and has never had a problem. i think the problem was he was a bit backed up. he made a large stool the other day and has been back to his playful self. thanks again

Back
Top Bottom