male or female?????

Georgetheyemen

Hi i’ve had my chameleon for around 2 months and i’m not sure if it’s male or female i’m also not sure of it’s age just wondered if anyone could help please. i’ve attached a few pictures of him/her from last couple of weeks. Thank you.

Attachments

• 859B8C25-D85F-4CA6-8FDE-9D12ACCA4B09.jpeg
    859B8C25-D85F-4CA6-8FDE-9D12ACCA4B09.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 52
  • 21B6AF76-5016-480C-BF6F-60E54EEC8389.jpeg
    21B6AF76-5016-480C-BF6F-60E54EEC8389.jpeg
    311.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 64782834-3749-4E57-BA24-7194DCA2BCBB.jpeg
    64782834-3749-4E57-BA24-7194DCA2BCBB.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 72E38F10-5FB8-400F-90AB-79483BF7EFE2.jpeg
    72E38F10-5FB8-400F-90AB-79483BF7EFE2.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 51
Female and looks to be somewhere in the 9 month range if you got her as a baby. Age is hard to determine as growth is based on husbandry when young.

Do you know how and what to do for a female? Regarding temps needed and food intake to control clutch size along with a lay bin?

Female and looks to be somewhere in the 9 month range if you got her as a baby. Age is hard to determine as growth is based on husbandry when young.

Do you know how and what to do for a female? Regarding temps needed and food intake to control clutch size along with a lay bin?
Thank you. she was tiny when i got her (that was around 2 ish months ago) i weighed and measured her about a week ago and she weighed 82grams and measured about 12inches from tip of her nose to tip of her tail.
Yes i’ve been researching how to care for both male and female chameleons for several months now so think i should be ok but i’ll be sure to pop back on here if I have any more questions thank you for you help.

Last edited:
Thank you. she was tiny when i got her (that was around 2 ish months ago) i weighed and measured her about a week ago and she weighed 82grams and measured about 12inches from tip of her nose to tip of her tail.
Yes i’ve been researching how to care for both male and female chameleons for several months now so think i should be ok but i’ll be sure to pop back on here if I have any more questions thank you for you help.
Ok well if she is 82 grams now that is either a heavier juvenille female or an adult size... Females normally run about 75-100 grams. Do you have pics with her on your hand from when you got her so we can tell size?

I am going to post the info for females just in case you have not seen correct info. It is so important with them to have husbandry perfect because egg binding is high risk otherwise.

Females

As she matures you will have to start cutting back her food. By about 6-7 months she should be getting about 5-8 small feeders each day. At about 7-8 months you want to slowly reduce by cutting down feeder amounts so that she is on a feeding schedule of 3 days a week with 3 feeders. You want them to be on this schedule by the time they are 9-10 months old.

You will not ever want basking to be over 78-80 for her. Very important for females because as she ages she needs this temp no higher at basking to help control the amount of eggs she produces. The hotter the temp they more their metabolism speeds up so we have to keep the temp lower since we are doing lower food intake.

A lay bin should be added as a permanent fixture by the time they are 6 months old so they get used to it and it does not cause stress.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

laybin graphic.jpg

Ok well if she is 82 grams now that is either a heavier juvenille female or an adult size... Females normally run about 75-100 grams. Do you have pics with her on your hand from when you got her so we can tell size?

I am going to post the info for females just in case you have not seen correct info. It is so important with them to have husbandry perfect because egg binding is high risk otherwise.

Females

As she matures you will have to start cutting back her food. By about 6-7 months she should be getting about 5-8 small feeders each day. At about 7-8 months you want to slowly reduce by cutting down feeder amounts so that she is on a feeding schedule of 3 days a week with 3 feeders. You want them to be on this schedule by the time they are 9-10 months old.

You will not ever want basking to be over 78-80 for her. Very important for females because as she ages she needs this temp no higher at basking to help control the amount of eggs she produces. The hotter the temp they more their metabolism speeds up so we have to keep the temp lower since we are doing lower food intake.

A lay bin should be added as a permanent fixture by the time they are 6 months old so they get used to it and it does not cause stress.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

View attachment 335395
Thank you for the info. i’ve attached a picture from the day i got her.

Attachments

• 03AE8BD4-FA28-4630-B25B-69A502FBCF5D.jpeg
    03AE8BD4-FA28-4630-B25B-69A502FBCF5D.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 45
Thank you for the info. i’ve attached a picture from the day i got her.
Based on that pic she is somewhere in the 6-9 month range. Again can not be sure due to prior husbandry affecting growth rate. But based on her current weight I would not be surprised if she is somewhere in that age range.

Back
Top Bottom