Making noise

YodaTheCham

Hello my 6 month old female veiled chameleon has been making this popping/wheezing noise while gaping and sucking in air here and there. Took her to an exotic vet they said physical exam was perfect nothing wrong as no mucus. I didn’t feel they were to knowledgeable. They wanted to to X-rays and prescribe antibiotics shots. Have me pay then and there Without doing a deeper analysis on her. Whole thing was strange. Don’t know if I should take her to a different vet. She eats and drinks normally
9F246176-620E-40B5-9406-44BD61609150.jpeg

Attachments

• 6F639AF8-3B0A-44C4-B5DE-8678B9A7B0AA.jpeg
    6F639AF8-3B0A-44C4-B5DE-8678B9A7B0AA.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Hi and welcome. :) Sounds like classic signs of a respiratory infection. Also sounds like that vet isn’t terribly experienced with chameleons - many are not. If you want to take her to a better vet, what is your general vicinity? We may be able to help you find one. Or if you prefer, call that vet back and get some antibiotics.

Hi and welcome. :) Sounds like classic signs of a respiratory infection. Also sounds like that vet isn’t terribly experienced with chameleons - many are not. If you want to take her to a better vet, what is your general vicinity? We may be able to help you find one. Or if you prefer, call that vet back and get some antibiotics.
Hi thank you I live in Reno,Nevada and do you think I can just ask to pay for antibiotics or would it have to be with the X-rays.

Hi thank you I live in Reno,Nevada and do you think I can just ask to pay for antibiotics or would it have to be with the X-rays.
That is something you’ll have to ask the vet. This is what I’ve found in the forum for a good vet.
Here is a recommendation of someone in Sacramento that has a very large chameleon collection.

Madison Avenue Veterinary 8520 Madison Ave, Fair Oaks 916-961-1541

Ok Thank you for your help. I appreciate it
Sure. Anytime. :)
I know it’s not what you came here for, but if i don’t ask and later learn that I should have, I’ll kick myself. Anyhow, are you aware that your pretty little girl will lay eggs even though she may never even see a male? Because of that it’s more important than ever to have perfect husbandry to prevent problems. Also, since egg laying shortens the lives of our ladies, we can take measures to try to reduce or even maybe stop their egg production. Veileds mature early and she could be mature enough for laying as young as 5-6 months old. Anyhow, if you want to make sure your husbandry is spot on or want/need any info on the whole laying process, way to reduce egg production or anything else, just ask.
Also, I’m wondering what your temps and humidity levels are. Having high humidity and high temps greatly increase the risks for respiratory infection.

Back
Top Bottom