Looking for some feedback

kilgrave

Hello everyone,

got some questions that I would like from some chameleon keepers.

I have watched all the Neptune‘s and Bill Strand’s videos, and have a pretty decent idea of the hobby. I have some questions that may be more unique to me.

note I am looking at

male Jackson’s
male Panther

as my first cham.

The things that are on my mind.

1) I have a cat, While I don't think he could jump on top of the 2x2x4 enclosure, would having a cat stare at a cham from the outside stress a either cham out?

2) For any unfinished basement reptile room owners, how do you find the temps to be, so far my overall room temps have stayed in the 60's-low 70's during fall and winter, yet to have summer data as I just moved.

These are really the last two things stopping me from starting the tank build etc and waiting till summer to order from a breeder.

Thank you!!

Hello everyone,

got some questions that I would like from some chameleon keepers.

I have watched all the Neptune‘s and Bill Strand’s videos, and have a pretty decent idea of the hobby. I have some questions that may be more unique to me.

note I am looking at

male Jackson’s
male Panther

as my first cham.

The things that are on my mind.

1) I have a cat, While I don't think he could jump on top of the 2x2x4 enclosure, would having a cat stare at a cham from the outside stress a either cham out?

2) For any unfinished basement reptile room owners, how do you find the temps to be, so far my overall room temps have stayed in the 60's-low 70's during fall and winter, yet to have summer data as I just moved.

These are really the last two things stopping me from starting the tank build etc and waiting till summer to order from a breeder.

Thank you!!
Welcome to the forums! A big difference for those two is how low your night temps can go. Jacksons also need less supplementation, cooler temps (especially at night), and more. @JacksJill and @Kaizen have mega amounts of jacksons experience and are the experts on them! I would make sure the cat can’t get into whatever room you want to put your cham in, otherwise it’s an accident waiting to happen. Make sure to keep us updated, especially with cute cham pics when you get one! Also, once you decide on which species to get, you can fill out the ask for help form on here to double-check that everything will be perfect for him! Congrats, and don’t hesitate to let us know if you ever need any help, info, or anything else at all!

ah, so the rooms design wouldn't allow me to keep the cat away. theres nothing for the cat to get up the 6-8 feet that the top of the cage.

I imagine not worth the risk right?

ah, so the rooms design wouldn't allow me to keep the cat away. theres nothing for the cat to get up the 6-8 feet that the top of the cage.

I think it really depends on the cats. My cham has his own bedroom, but the cats have wandered in while I'm in there to just see what I'm doing. I also have 4 large bird cages downstairs and a guinnea pig cage, the cats don't bother anyone. But, like I said earlier, it depends on the cat.

I don’t own a cat but I do know that if the chameleons claws can climb to the aluminum mesh I’m sure the cats claws may also be able to. The claws may also ruin the mesh but I’m not sure and I wouldn’t want your cham or your cat to get hurt. But again I don’t know 😂, I just personally wouldn’t risk it. As for the cat not wanting to risk it, I have quite a few friends that have cats that would make me think otherwise, those cats are curious and very determined 😂 I don’t know how your cat is but like I said I wouldn’t but it really depends how your cat is, is there no other room available?

note I am looking at

male Jackson’s
male Panther
I looked at the same two. Jackson's may have been my first choice, but the only way for me to provide the necessary temperature swings would be to carry the enclosure up & down the basement stairs every day, and I'm disabled—not gonna happen. For that reason alone, I have a panther. No regrets.

IMO, yes. I've had a cat, and many small animals (hamsters, GPs, lizards, rabbit). Cats are predators and problem solvers. If there's a way (and sometimes if there isn't), they'll find it. I've seen cats jump directly from the floor to the top of a 6½ ft. tall refrigerator—with ease.

Can the cat be kept out of the basement? Or can a room be built in the basement with a door?

I can answer that for my basement. I can't answer it for anyone else's. 🤷‍♂️

1) I have a cat, While I don't think he could jump on top of the 2x2x4 enclosure, would having a cat stare at a cham from the outside stress a either cham out? I would not have your cat alone in the room with the chameleon cage ever. It's best to lock them out. Staring would be a stress factor especially in the beginning. Many cham keepers have lost their chams to their cat.

2) For any unfinished basement reptile room owners, how do you find the temps to be, so far my overall room temps have stayed in the 60's-low 70's during fall and winter, yet to have summer data as I just moved. Jackson's seem to do well in basement conditions because of the ability to get lower night time temperatures.

Summer will be here before you know it. Just like aquariums it is best to get your set up running and adjusted before adding the animal.

Full disclosure: I'm a Jackson breeder

We kept our GPs in a 3'x2'x2'H enclosure. To keep the cat out, we added a solid top, and placed it on top of a 4'H cabinet. A couple times we came into the room and found the cat sitting on top of the enclosure, leaning over the side with her head upside-down, stalking the GPs.

I built a 3-sided pyramid (against the wall) on the top, which we think kept the cat off, but cats will be cats. :rolleyes:

Thank you everyone for their input. It seems that a cham in a room that cats can go into poses a decent risk and that I shouldnt get a cham,

Thank you everyone for their input. It seems that a cham in a room that cats can go into poses a decent risk and that I shouldnt get a cham,
I think the message was to keep the cat out of the room the cham is kept in.
If that's not possible, then I would agree.

Back
Top Bottom