Looking for feedback.

darlinemurguia

Just recently got my male veiled chameleon. He’s almost a year old from what I was told. Just looking for some feedback on his enclosure. He seems to like it but if there’s anything else I could add to make him more comfortable I’m all ears.
Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 17F5F8E1-A9CE-43D2-9362-56D766D5A5AC.jpeg
    17F5F8E1-A9CE-43D2-9362-56D766D5A5AC.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 110
He needs horizontal branches to sit and bask. I see you have what appears to be a T5 or T8 light fixture, is this for UVB ? If so that’s great ! I also see you have a dual fixture with a compact coiled style fluorescent if this is also a UVB or your only source of UVB then you’ll want to get ride of it. T5 or T8 is what’s needed for UVB preferable T5 high output.

Yes I have both linear uvb and the dual uvb that comes with heat as well. So would you recommend taking the little uvb out of the dual lamp and just use the linear uvb and the heat bulb? It gets quite hot where I live. Reaching about a little over 90° where he would be basking with the heat lamp on. I was wondering if I could just leave the uvb fixture on while the house is already hot from no A/C . And thank you for the horizontal recommendation I tried it but couldn’t get them to stay in place. I will definitely try again so he can be more comfortable!

yes i leave the uvb on for half of the day, as well as the heat. Just checking the thermostat making sure it doesn’t get too hot for him. If it does then I just turn the heat off only.

Just recently got my male veiled chameleon. He’s almost a year old from what I was told. Just looking for some feedback on his enclosure. He seems to like it but if there’s anything else I could add to make him more comfortable I’m all ears.
Thank you!
Looks pretty spot on I would just recommend lowering that top branch near the heat bulb to make sure he doesn’t burn himself

To clarify, UVB should be on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours. Not the whole day.

You could consider using the empty space where the compact UVB used to be for a plant LED light. Just a thought.

What are the humidity levels in the enclosure?
What are the dimensions?

it’s a 24”x 24”x 48”

Attachments

• 8ECBD4E3-9D56-403C-B7FC-244B5687AAD7.jpeg
    8ECBD4E3-9D56-403C-B7FC-244B5687AAD7.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 76
  • C0FA3A77-3B8B-461C-9932-20FEE5CA00D7.jpeg
    C0FA3A77-3B8B-461C-9932-20FEE5CA00D7.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 84F7C64D-01E3-4192-BD2F-2F20264DCB77.jpeg
    84F7C64D-01E3-4192-BD2F-2F20264DCB77.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 63
To clarify, UVB should be on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours. Not the whole day.

You could consider using the empty space where the compact UVB used to be for a plant LED light. Just a thought.

What are the humidity levels in the enclosure?
What are the dimensions?

I posted pictures above. Today the humidity got as low as 30% and the high of 60%.

I posted pictures above. Today the humidity got as low as 30% and the high of 60%.
Your humidity is fine during the day for a Veiled. Do you know if your linear bulb is a T8 or T5? The bulbs should say it if the fixture does not. Analog gauges are not very accurate. You might consider switching to digital ones with probes. Are you running two bulbs in the dual dome fixture?

I would pull the bamboo mat out of the top of the cage. then get some zip ties and put in some horizontal branches.

Your humidity is fine during the day for a Veiled. Do you know if your linear bulb is a T8 or T5? The bulbs should say it if the fixture does not. Analog gauges are not very accurate. You might consider switching to digital ones with probes. Are you running two bulbs in the dual dome fixture?

I would pull the bamboo mat out of the top of the cage. then get some zip ties and put in some horizontal branches.

It’s a T8 with a 5.0 bulb. I only have one bulb in the dual lamp which is the heat.

It’s a T8 with a 5.0 bulb. I only have one bulb in the dual lamp which is the heat.
So your going to want to upgrade his lighting to a 24 inch T5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb. Then drop the basking level down 9inches so he gets the correct UVB.

The issue with the T8 is that their output is much more shallow so the cham has to be within inches of it. With that also poses risk for thermal burns from the heat fixture. Veileds with their casques we have to be very very careful on the distance from the heat fixture to them. Also using focused heat bulbs would be a bad idea. I would make sure it is a regular incandescent bulb.

So your going to want to upgrade his lighting to a 24 inch T5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb. Then drop the basking level down 9inches so he gets the correct UVB.

The issue with the T8 is that their output is much more shallow so the cham has to be within inches of it. With that also poses risk for thermal burns from the heat fixture. Veileds with their casques we have to be very very careful on the distance from the heat fixture to them. Also using focused heat bulbs would be a bad idea. I would make sure it is a regular incandescent bulb.

Okay awesome thank you for all the information. I will definitely go and get all the correct supplies when I get the chance. He also really enjoys the direct sunlight. Is there any issues with taking him out and letting him enjoy it for awhile?

Attachments

• A5BBE62F-2F3A-44DC-8DFA-AF35A1AFC43B.jpeg
    A5BBE62F-2F3A-44DC-8DFA-AF35A1AFC43B.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 8340ECFB-8CB5-4BA8-8A4E-F5CC70B16226.jpeg
    8340ECFB-8CB5-4BA8-8A4E-F5CC70B16226.jpeg
    263.3 KB · Views: 68
Okay awesome thank you for all the information. I will definitely go and get all the correct supplies when I get the chance. He also really enjoys the direct sunlight. Is there any issues with taking him out and letting him enjoy it for awhile?
Direct sunlight outside is wonderful for them. Just make sure your with him and do not put him on a tree and leave him. He will be gone when you return lol. He has some stunning colors and right now his weight looks fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom