Looking for chameleon eggs!

bevil

Hi
I’d really like to hatch my own chameleon eggs. If you have eggs for sale, or know someone who does, please let me know.
Thanks
Bevil

Jann very kindly provided me with four, but they were not fertile and molded over (the ones she kept from this batch also were bad). So I’m back looking.

Do you know how to properly hatch them?
I work a lot with animals and had chameleons when I was a child (I grew up in Zimbabwe, ours were the flapneck chameleon)...so I think I should be able to hatch them (at least I’d like to try, and will be glad for the help/support of chameleonforum!)

Where do you live?
What species are you looking for?
@jannb might be able to help you if you're looking for veileds.
Oh: I’m in the Washington DC area...but born in Zimbabwe. We moved to Canada when I was a kid—Ottawa, then the Vancouver Area, then Montreal—then I moved back to Zimbabwe after university, and now I’m in the US. Not that you asked for all of it, but I was tickled to see you’re Canadian (or at least you live in Canada).

I'm Canadian...been here my whole life! Wow...Zimbabwe! What animals do you work with? I've had a couple of flap necks over the years....and a lot of other species too.

I asked your location because it's easier to get eggs from someone in the States if you live in the States, etc.

I'm Canadian...been here my whole life! Wow...Zimbabwe! What animals do you work with? I've had a couple of flap necks over the years....and a lot of other species too.

I asked your location because it's easier to get eggs from someone in the States if you live in the States, etc.
I work with all kinds of mammals at work, and have canaries and rats as pets at home. I would love to get a flapneck, just ‘cause it’s familiar, but I’m keen to get any kind of eggs that I could try hatch myself. Which animals are you actively breeding?

@jann has veiled eggs from 2 beautiful adults right now...I'm sure there are others who do to.

Rats and canaries...unusual combination! :)
I'm not breeding any right now. Over the years I've hatched quite a few different species though....some chameleons and some other species.

What do you mean you work with the animals?

Zimbabwe is in trouble....running out of food...so sad.

Last edited:
@jann has veiled eggs from 2 beautiful adults right now...I'm sure there are others who do to.

Rats and canaries...unusual combination! :)
I'm not breeding any right now. Over the years I've hatched quite a few different species though....some chameleons and some other species.

What do you mean you work with the animals?

Zimbabwe is in trouble....running out of food...so sad.
Yes poor zim is in very rough shape— we just installed a generator and solar panels in my aunts house there because there’s no power anymore, food is very scarce.

It was interesting when I went back in 1996 to teach high school, I had a pet chameleon for a while and the kids at the school were terrified of it.

Now I do behavioral research looking at animal cognition in various mammals— i’m interested in knowing how animals learn and what knowledge they have about the world— we do comfortable work in humans to compare across species.

Your poor aunt. I feel bad for anybody in countries that are having problems. We're so lucky here in Canada and complain about "nothing".

Are they terrified because of stories/beliefs about chameleons or just because it's a strange critter?

Its so interesting to study animals awareness of things and how they learn. I kind of test the animals in my yard...squirrels, chipmunks, birds, etc.

One bluejay has figured out how to take 2 peanuts in shells at the same time and it has also figured out that if it takes 2 hides them and comes back for more and keeps repeating it that he can then eat them all at the end. I think he realizes that he gets more that way...or am I just giving him too much credit? He's the only one that "beeps" at me and when I beep back he seems to treat it as though it was a game and continues. I test him by finding two nuts that I hope he can't figure out how to get in his beak at the same time...but he's smart and will even take one out and swap them. He always figures it up and never leaves without both. I'm not sure how much I'm reading into this all and how much is really him being smart/learning. He finds the most interesting places to hide the nuts to.

Only two out of about a dozen squirrels have figured out how to take more than one nut at a time.

It's all interesting to me!

I have a couple of clutches of Panther eggs that are fertile and developing nicely, but I am sorry to say that I am just not keen on shipping this time of year. Otherwise I would gladly help you get started on your hatching adventure.

I just don't want to risk the loss from poor handling practices from shippers that are in a hurry, or just don't care. Sorry, and I hope you find someone close enough to you to give it a go! (I am just north of Indianapolis, in Indiana.)

I have a couple of clutches of Panther eggs that are fertile and developing nicely, but I am sorry to say that I am just not keen on shipping this time of year. Otherwise I would gladly help you get started on your hatching adventure.

I just don't want to risk the loss from poor handling practices from shippers that are in a hurry, or just don't care. Sorry, and I hope you find someone close enough to you to give it a go! (I am just north of Indianapolis, in Indiana.)

It’s only safe to ship eggs the first couple of days after being laid. I was almost positive my eggs were infertile but Bevil wanted to give them a try anyway. They were from a 5 month retain clutch and none ended up being fertile. I shipped eggs back in Aug. from my girl’s clutch, 30 days after mating and all the eggs are still doing well.

Oh: I’m in the Washington DC area...but born in Zimbabwe. We moved to Canada when I was a kid—Ottawa, then the Vancouver Area, then Montreal—then I moved back to Zimbabwe after university, and now I’m in the US. Not that you asked for all of it, but I was tickled to see you’re Canadian (or at least you live in Canada).
Do you know if we are allowed to have our chams in DC? Everything I'm seeing doesn't specify either way explicitly.

..unless in prison, the military....reform school...rehab...etc.. chams are legal!! I have lots o eggs lol..

Back
Top Bottom