live plants

reptilemancan

hey, im looking to get a live plant in my flexarium, but i dont like to have pots in the cage coz the crix hide under it and my charm cant get it. is there a wat to keep live plant without the pot?

give all info as im still learning! cheers!

hey, im looking to get a live plant in my flexarium, but i dont like to have pots in the cage coz the crix hide under it and my charm cant get it. is there a wat to keep live plant without the pot?

give all info as im still learning! cheers!

cover the pot with screen or screen canvas.
Edit: O sorry, i did not see "under it" comment.
Yeah, plant stand will solve the problem.

Last edited:
Easy fix for that would be to make feet for the pot. Easy route would be taking a piece of pvc pipe 1-2" in diameter and cutting it into 1" sections and placing them upright evenly spaced out under the pot. then act as feet allowing for pot drainage and keep feeders from hiding under the pot itself.;)

Last edited:
this would be the hardest, and most irritating way, but at the bottom you can build a small box out of wood that fits your cage size, and then wrap thick greenhouse plastic around the bottom of it, and use the side to bring it up, and staple it at the top, and if you make it deep enough say 6-9 in depending on the plant you can then put soil, and cover it with moss to help retain moisture and plant it in that, but after your done planting it you will need to cut some wire mesh, and lay it on the bottom around your plants, and covering all the moss that way your cham doesn't eat it, and feeders cant hide in/under it. (who says you cant have a beautiful enclosure, and keep it safe to =) )

if you have the supplies like i did then you can make it for probably around 5-7 pounds

this would be the hardest, and most irritating way, but at the bottom you can build a small box out of wood that fits your cage size, and then wrap thick greenhouse plastic around the bottom of it, and use the side to bring it up, and staple it at the top, and if you make it deep enough say 6-9 in depending on the plant you can then put soil, and cover it with moss to help retain moisture and plant it in that, but after your done planting it you will need to cut some wire mesh, and lay it on the bottom around your plants, and covering all the moss that way your cham doesn't eat it, and feeders cant hide in/under it. (who says you cant have a beautiful enclosure, and keep it safe to =) )

if you have the supplies like i did then you can make it for probably around 5-7 pounds

I did that one time and got a fine colony of mold growing between the plastic and wood.... not cool. If your not keen on my idea, use a wire plant stand and your done.:)

alright cheers mate, if anyone else got any ideas please share!:)

I use a bonsai pot, as per Chamelisa's amazing suggestion.

9gopotframed.jpg

The feet are about 1cm longer though, but that would work. Bugs wont get stuck and die under it because of the feet. Since the entire pot is shallow, it has good drainage, minimizing root rot. Provided you pack it down very hard.

Here is how I was taught to pack the dirt once you put everything in. Use organic soil.

- Poke dirt with pencil or chopstick

- Fill hole with dirt

- Repeat until you can't penetrate the dirt easily with the pencil.

I just repotted a sheff, and the drainage is amazing after I took a good 20+ minutes of just packing the dirt. Plus, the pot looks really nice inside of a cage in my opinion. Very visually appealing.

I use a bonsai pot, as per Chamelisa's amazing suggestion.

9gopotframed.jpg

The feet are about 1cm longer though, but that would work. Bugs wont get stuck and die under it because of the feet. Since the entire pot is shallow, it has good drainage, minimizing root rot. Provided you pack it down very hard.

Here is how I was taught to pack the dirt once you put everything in. Use organic soil.

- Poke dirt with pencil or chopstick

- Fill hole with dirt

- Repeat until you can't penetrate the dirt easily with the pencil.

I just repotted a sheff, and the drainage is amazing after I took a good 20+ minutes of just packing the dirt. Plus, the pot looks really nice inside of a cage in my opinion. Very visually appealing.

nice idea with the pot, and the handing post, amazing idea! how do you hang them up in a mesh flexarium? could you put some pic in or discribe!

nice idea with the pot, and the handing post, amazing idea! how do you hang them up in a mesh flexarium? could you put some pic in or discribe!

I just set the pot on the bottom of my screened enclosure. I don't hang it.

The pot sits on the pvc board with holes in the center.
The pvc board sits on the dishwashing rack.
The dishwashing rack sits above a tub which collects the water that falls through the pot and pvc.

This is an older pic, but it is the same premise.
P1016382.jpg

A hanging planter I made on the spur of the moment. Pothos is real, purple one isnt)

s2zmu0.jpg

2i07z9z.jpg

deqphk.jpg

The pot has drainage (see below)
2wchd83.jpg

and drains away through the cage bottom into catchment trays.
i53r5c.jpg

I still have pots also but theres no reason all your planting couldnt be hanging, provided it still has branches to climb/bask.

Last edited:
A hanging planter I made on the spur of the moment. Pothos is real, purple one isnt)

s2zmu0.jpg

2i07z9z.jpg

deqphk.jpg

The pot has drainage (see below)
2wchd83.jpg

and drains away through the cage bottom into catchment trays.
i53r5c.jpg

I still have pots also but theres no reason all your planting couldnt be hanging, provided it still has branches to climb/bask.
very very nice im gona have a go with that, if anyone got any other ideas please share!

Back
Top Bottom