Little flies - how to get rid of them?

TwiceVeiled

Avid Member
Good morning everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had advice. Two days ago I set up a new free range plant for her (supervised) and used pothos and organic soil I had bought a few months ago and left in the basement. When I dug into the organic soil I saw some little flies(like the size of fruit flies) fly out but didn’t think it was a big deal.

Now two days later these little flies are flying around the free range. Do I need to clean and repot with brand new soil or is there another way to deal with this? Many thanks if you have any advice!

12A2F937-85A3-4E7A-8992-EE8622C1A751.jpeg

Repotting may get rid of them temporarily but they are usually present in damp soggy soil with poor drainage. Maybe lay off watering and let the soil dry out. If not predatory plants work well. When repotting you can use mosquito bits and that will also help keep numbers down!

You can try mosquito dunks or bits. It kills fungus gnats too if that's what you have. It contains some kinda bacterial mosquito and fungus gnat larvae killer.
We put bits in our potted plants to keep from breeding mosquitos and it seems to keep the pesky tiny flies from reproducing.
It says safe for pets and fish. If fish can safely swim and breathe it with their gills in treated water it must be pretty inert for vertebrates.

https://www.amazon.com/Summit-116-12-Quick-Mosquito-8-Ounce/dp/B0001LE1VC/

You can try mosquito dunks or bits. It kills fungus gnats too if that's what you have. It contains some kinda bacterial mosquito and fungus gnat larvae killer.
We put bits in our potted plants to keep from breeding mosquitos and it seems to keep the pesky tiny flies from reproducing.
It says safe for pets and fish. If fish can safely swim and breathe it with their gills in treated water it must be pretty inert for vertebrates.

https://www.amazon.com/Summit-116-12-Quick-Mosquito-8-Ounce/dp/B0001LE1VC/
Thanks so much! I have options, then. Great!

Back
Top Bottom