Liquid calcium OD? HELP, PLZ?!?

mommy420

FYI: Long Read...

Rescued female Veiled Cham about 3 months ago, age unknown (guess 2yrs?)... Was in very bad situation! Don't know much exactly, except she was/is very unsociable! I was making progress slowly with my Cassidy, then she became gravid. Her eating became very scarce, maybe 1 or 2 crickets a day. No more Dubai, supers, etc. I became extremely worried about her calcium/vitamins.
She started showing signs of needing to lay, there had been a lay box in her viv since I brought her home. She showed no interest...
Made up a garbage can lay bin for her, have tried many, many times now, not once has she even attempted to dig. Her eating has all but stopped, maybe a cricket or 2 every other day, if I'm lucky. She will not drink from dripper for days, then all sudden drink like water buffalo one day!?!
I decided to do the liquid calcium drops straight to her by mouth, gave about 5-6 drops...

She is now having SEVERE reaction!!!! Obviously calcium OD... I've looked online for hours now, found symtoms for it, etc. Read about how bad it is to have calcium od, but nothing about what I need to be doing for her!

I'm a wreck here...
I've done reptile rescue for many years, I have 14 of my own right now... I've never had this happen to me! I DO NOT want to loose my Cassidy!!

I have her in a small bucket with her privacy towel inside it for her to lay on. I have the Mercury Vapor bulb on her (heat, uva & uvb)...

She's severely dehydrated now as well?!???
(She is showing some signs of improvement as time goes on, but still is horrible...)

Please HELP...

14983242796121125590020.jpg
14983243284071756886978.jpg

First, IMHO one dose of liquid calcium probably won't kill her, but doing this daily for weeks would be a problem. Helping her get rid of it with lots of drinking would probably help. Second, some of the symptoms of dehydration can also be symptoms of other issues (for example, sunken eyes....it can be a sign of overall stress and illness, not just dehydration). There is obviously something serious going on from looking at your pics, seeing her weakness and posture, but it might not be the calcium dose. What were her problems when you got her? What supplements and diet was she on before this happened? Do you have a good herp vet to take her to? She doesn't look very gravid but signs can vary. Its also possible there's been some sort of internal injury, follicle rupture, ovary problem that's caused all this. She needs a vet to help figure all this out. What's the temp in her container now? She looks pale and could also be overheated if she can't move out of the heat.

How often did you do the calcium?
What do you mean when you say she's having a severe reaction to it??
Is she sitting with her mouth open all the time?
Has she been drinking?
Describe the laying bin please.

We lost Miss Cassidy last night
Took her to ER vet, guess she had been in kidney failure for quite some time, just not showing any signs/symptoms. The dose of calcium just made it the final straw for her kidneys, is what he said.
Like I said in original post, I had rescued her from very bad situation, I thought she was doing much better, boy was I wrong!!
I do not have a good or even decent reptile vet in my area, so when I get a rescue in, it's like gasping at straws to get a correct diagnosis from them...
I feel absolutely horrible about loosing her, I was so looking forward to going back to making progress with socializing her once she laid those damn eggs! We were doing so well!
I had correct viv for her, 87-90° under basking, reg air temp usually around 82°. Night temps 68-72°. UVB reptisun 5.0 tube. XL zoomed screen cage, (winter plastic 3sides, now only plastic in back). Lil dripper for water & hand mist 6-8 times day (she loved it). Before becoming gravid, she ate crickets, Dubai (I raise my own), super worms & horn worms as treat (her absolute favorite). She ate collard greens & some kale on occasion & she LOVED raspberries! We did not have any live plants in her viv, as we let her out to play on our window sill (very large) that has tons of reptile safe plants. She climbed thru the hanging baskets & up onto top rod & would bask in sun (changed Windows so screens are now on top for her). Once I got her to eat & drink normal, she pooped everyday, healthy, whitish urstasis, normal. Once gravid, only yellowish urstatis when not eating... Like I'd said we were working on socialization. My husband & I have been biten many many times, lol. Hurts like heck, but I kept at it... She was a mean lil witch, but was coming around! Once we had her calmed & on our hand/arm, she LOVED her casque lightly rubbed, she would lean into you & close her eyes, too sweet ... I'm going to miss my mean lil lady.

Thank you for trying to help, much appreciated! I usually don't ask for help often.... I rescue mainly dragons & geckos & I'm okay with them... She sure was different!
Thanx again!!
Mommy to now 12 babies (reptiles/amphibians & damn cat)

Sorry for your loss. I used to have the meanest male...never did get him last that but unloved him anyway. We do get attached to them.
If you would...I would still like to know what the severe reaction to the calcium was. I'm always trying to learn more and it might help to know.
Again...sorry for your loss.

Lost all control of her muscles, she couldn't even hold her own head up. Her breathing would slow way down as well, scare me badly. That's why she was in that position in pix above... Just had placed her in as comfortable as I could because she could not grip or use her arms or legs

Lost all control of her muscles, she couldn't even hold her own head up. Her breathing would slow way down as well, scare me badly. That's why she was in that position in pix above... Just had placed her in as comfortable as I could because she could not grip or use her arms or legs

I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm not suggesting that what I write below is why she died when she did but wanted you to have the information anyway. Again, I'm very sorry for your loss.

An overdose of vet-prescribed liquid calcium can stop the heart.

It is possible she aspirated on the liquid and maybe later developed an autoimmune response to the fluid in her lungs.

Back
Top Bottom