Lighting

See you know what's really been putting me off is the live plants, I don't want them dieing which is why I think a beardie is better, and the bearidie would be in a vivarium so hard for the cats to get to, would the cats be able to get through one of the hybrid enclosures from muji or not. And if I was to get plants from a reptile store would they need repotting, im worried repotting would stress and kill the plants.

If you don't think you are ready, and don't have the right scenario for a chameleon, that is very responsible, which is good , a bearded would also ,need kept away from cats as cats will be cats
Completely understand the beardie would be in a vivarium hopefully on a desk so they can't get to him and he won't get stressed when he sees them.

I've been researching bearded dragons for a few months, but I've wanted a chameleon as well. However currently I think it's best to get a bearded only cause I'm studying and with the cats, don't wanna stress the chameleon out and I can't be there to supervisor during the day. My bedroom were I would keep it, the cats love the room and I wouldn't feel right locking them out all day. Thanks for all the advice and support though, mabye in a few years I might come back once I have some more experience.
I wouldn't leave cats unsupervised with a chameleon and enclosure imo trouble waiting to happen

Has anyone used this light for plants?
Just wanting to find something that gives a little extra light for plants that won't cost too much.
Screenshot_20230521_105440_Walmart.jpg

You can do something like this https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...anches-to-screen-cage-diy-alternative.184190/
You can also use plastic Lattice panels that you cut to fit your back and side panels. Hook those to the frame of the cage, then you attach branches directly to that with zip ties. And you can hook in smaller potted plants as well.

In this folder I have my layouts. You would do the same type of thing building out your inner structure. https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/albums/my-enclosures.6672/
How much clearance do we need off the screen to put the branches on the lattice?

How much clearance do we need off the screen to put the branches on the lattice?
Huh. lol You mean when using lattice how far away from the inside screen should it be? If so I would not do more than 1/4 inch off the screen. This gives you room to weave the zip tie around it and behind it.

Huh. lol You mean when using lattice how far away from the inside screen should it be? If so I would not do more than 1/4 inch off the screen. This gives you room to weave the zip tie around it and behind it.
Ok ty yes that is what I was talking about.

I mean I'm still deciding but something is telling me, right now isn't the ideal time to get a chameleon.
Listen to your gut. If you don't feel like now is the right time, then wait. When you get one you want it to be a good experience both for you and the chameleon. I think thats very noble to have that level of awareness and I appreciate you sharing that.

Have you ever looked into crested geckos? They are pretty simple to care for, they might be a good first reptile for you. Just a thought, beardies are also adorable :)

Back
Top Bottom