Lighting for Bradypodion

On review of MH bulbs above, they all say "with 100% UV block to prevent fading". i am wondering if they are also using uv free cfls. UV light is advantageous in controlling mold, fungi, and bacteria at appropriate levels. I'm wondering if that could be it. If so, they are continuing the same mistake with the metal halides.

Link for bulb in English

http://www.ecat.lighting.philips.co...lour-cdm/mastercolour-cdm-tc/928085205125_eu/

Note they are 3000k, not daylight spectrum. Under bulb material says "UV block quartz".

These will have similar spectrum to regular cool white fluorescents. NO UV!

Showjet, any feedback from our euro friends on these ideas? Would be interested to hear as they seem to have a whole different take than we do over here.

Maybe I can help somewhat... directly from Europe ;).

I'm keeping Bradypodion setaroi and there definitely seem to be some misunderstandigs in this thread. I and other keepers in Europe use HQI, that's right, but not for UVB. UVB is provided bei some flourescent tubes or metal halide lamps. Cause I've seen a lot chameleons with ceratoconjunctivitis and I don't trust the fluorescent tubes due to measurments with Solarmeter 6.5, I always use an Osram Vitalux additionally, at least 80 cm distance to the chameleons. There are some breeders using only fluorescent tubes like "Sylvania ReptiStar" without problems, but most (me too) keep the chameleons outside in summer anyway. So what I'm still wondering about: Do Bradypodion actually need less UVB in those cases providing unsufficient UVB, but having healthy offspring - or does the UVB provided during summer suffice to bridge winter? Or is it just due to proper supplementation there aren't big problems in Bradypodion keeping with low UVB levels?

About ceratoconjunctivitis: Yes, we still have a problem with too short UVB-wavelengths in certain brands, it's still concerning most compact bulbs ("energy saver") on the market. They're not safe at all and we got measurmentsat least every year from different vets. It's not only Bradypodion, even Furcifer pardalis, Chamaeleo calyptratus etc. But especially young Bradypodion seem to be very sensitive about lamps the bigger species can cope with, too (I had some cases of those).

Agree distance from light source is very important. Also, we know little of the "need" for uv in chams. The topic was if light could play a role in infection. The answer to that is definitely in an enclosed environment. The Issue is more pathogen reduction than actual chameleon physiology in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom