Lighting and waterproofing ideas

Zebenox

I'm working on my babies big boy home. He's a veiled chameleon about 6 months old so it's time for him to upgrade. I got an old china hutch I want to convert. The dimensions of his area are 18” deep 36” wide and 49” tall. I have a 36" T5HO reptisun hood but not sure which bulb I should get. I've read a few different types but really don't know what the difference is.

I also need ideas on best waterproofing strategies. I like the China hutch because I can put the drainage and mister reservoir in the bottom but the top is made of wood so that's obviously not going to work out well without waterproofing of some kind.

Attachments

• 20200430_163247.jpg
    20200430_163247.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 20200502_115804.jpg
    20200502_115804.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 77
Sweetwater Epoxy (2 part, for fish tanks)
Pond Armor (2 part, No VOCs, for ponds)
Flex Seal. (Silicone will not stick to flex seal)
Marine Epoxy (2 Part, for Boats)

I'm working on my babies big boy home. He's a veiled chameleon about 6 months old so it's time for him to upgrade. I got an old china hutch I want to convert. The dimensions of his area are 18” deep 36” wide and 49” tall. I have a 36" T5HO reptisun hood but not sure which bulb I should get. I've read a few different types but really don't know what the difference is.

I also need ideas on best waterproofing strategies. I like the China hutch because I can put the drainage and mister reservoir in the bottom but the top is made of wood so that's obviously not going to work out well without waterproofing of some kind.
I see this was from May, but did you ever complete this project? I'm curious bc I'm doing the same thing. I just got done using flex seal tape around where the back panel meets the body of the hutch. I'd love to know how it turned out if you were able to do it!

I see this was from May, but did you ever complete this project? I'm curious bc I'm doing the same thing. I just got done using flex seal tape around where the back panel meets the body of the hutch. I'd love to know how it turned out if you were able to do it!

I did finish it. I painted the whole thing with a water resistant paint. Then an extra coat of water proofing, then siliconed all the creases. The only problem I ran into to was there's a slight slant in my floor and of course I but the drainage on the high side ?‍♀️. Nothing a couple shims couldn't fix.

Attachments

• 20200712_193621.jpg
    20200712_193621.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 20200712_193800.jpg
    20200712_193800.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 77
I did finish it. I painted the whole thing with a water resistant paint. Then an extra coat of water proofing, then siliconed all the creases. The only problem I ran into to was there's a slight slant in my floor and of course I but the drainage on the high side ?‍♀️. Nothing a couple shims couldn't fix.
????

I know this was from awhile ago, but I am getting ready to do this myself with a hutch. How is it working out for you? How did you do the drainage exactly?

Back
Top Bottom