Lifted scale on chin

iPwnedMSCS

Established Member
I noticed that it looks like Perceval, my male panther chameleon has a spot on the front of his chin where a scale has pulled off. It doesn't seem to be causing him any issues at the moment as he's as active as normal and doesn't hesitate to eat, in fact the picture I've added is post superworm lip smacking since I rewarded him for holding onto him letting me get a closer look.

Is this a keep an eye on it sort of thing or would you recommend getting him to the vet?

Attachments

• 2AD072B6-AA10-4766-B9BA-ABFE54E7E0E1.jpeg
    2AD072B6-AA10-4766-B9BA-ABFE54E7E0E1.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 43
And a slightly lower quality picture from when I was holding him to check

Attachments

• DF77AFAD-4A0A-4497-AAFD-275885C6DB20.jpeg
    DF77AFAD-4A0A-4497-AAFD-275885C6DB20.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 47
See how it does thru the weekend. Put a tiny dab of an antibacterial if you can - silver sulfadiazine is best, but is prescription only. If you don’t have any of that, you can neosporin but make sure it’s the plain one and does not have pain relief.
The question is how did that happen? Is there something sharp that he could have gotten poked by? Superworms and hornworms will bite if they can as they are being eaten.

Thanks. I'll double check all of his zip ties to make sure they're flush.

He could have encountered something pointy on the hearth when he decided to treck across the living room from his tree recently. I've picked it up since seeing him do that so if that is what happened it won't happen again at least.

I would keep an eye on it but because of the location I would watch the area and inside the mouth really closely. THat is not a good area for infection to develop. It would not hurt to go ahead and look into good reptile vets in your area and see what the wait time is for appointments.

I'll call his vet Monday morning.

Here's how it's looking today.

Attachments

• 5084BC0A-2C79-40ED-83B6-565B5714E161.jpeg
    5084BC0A-2C79-40ED-83B6-565B5714E161.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 40
I'll call his vet Monday morning.

Here's how it's looking today.
From that pic it looks like it is starting to heal. My concern always with chams is that they seem to be able to easily get an infection when it comes to wounds. So that takes me to the what is going on internally from the wound that looks like it is healing externally. Again he may be perfectly fine. I just do not want to say that and something go wrong. :)

Back
Top Bottom