Licking the floor??

chameleon97

yea umm... my cham is licking the bottom of her cage (theres a lil water down there) but is this common?? i forgot to mist her today (Ya ya i know dont gross on me for it) but has your cham done this?

mine hasnt....i would think she was thirsty and thats why she was doing it. I wouldnt think it would be a problem if you dont have anything nasty on the bottom of the condo. :D

Not ragging BUT that should be the first thing you do when you wake up!! Your water yourself im sure:D So water your cham as wel:rolleyes:

mine hasnt....i would think she was thirsty and thats why she was doing it. I wouldnt think it would be a problem if you dont have anything nasty on the bottom of the condo. :D

Not ragging BUT that should be the first thing you do when you wake up!! Your water yourself im sure:D So water your cham as wel:rolleyes:

kk thanks. she just moved to the back and found a new water puddle lol...

That is pretty crazy though!! I thought they couldnt see or wouldnt drink out of not moving water.........:confused:hmmmmm

Why dont you give her a nice long mist until your hand is cramped!! I think she deserves it!! And you deserve the cramp:D:p:cool:JK!!!

codiwatkins said..."I thought they couldnt see or wouldnt drink out of not moving water"...and another fallacy is exposed....at least for a little while.

codiwatkins said..."I thought they couldnt see or wouldnt drink out of not moving water"...and another fallacy is exposed....at least for a little while.

they can/ will drink it, but normally only if its a last resort. i have witnessed the feat from a Veiled Chameleon at work who liked drinking standing water!? i have a cup on top the cage and a bowl to catch the drips, and he would drink after it stopped dripping. very odd behavior

Not much difference between beads of standing water on plant leaves and little puddles on the cage floor. Except the beads of water on leaves is probably in contact with less poop and likely hasnt been sitting as long, growing nastiness. But, Licking the floor sounds like desperation to me - why are you waiting to water, now that you've remembered?

I always wondered about that too. I thought it was weird that some online care sheets say they don't drink stagnant water and then state that they drink dew/water off leaves and flowers in the wild. I've seen my chams drink/lick/lap water of leaves, hibiscus flowers, and even water on their vines.

I've had many chameleons drink out of dishes over the years...but got tired of telling people that...just like I get tired of telling them that I use glass cages and veileds don't get eggbound strictly from not being bred when they reach sexual maturity.

Didnt/dont you find cleaning the water bowl a pain in the arse? I usually recommend people dont use water bowls cuz most people (not you of course) are lazy and dont clean up. I know I might forget to clean the dang thing every day, or skip it if I were in a hurry. Plus my three of my chameleons seem to prefer defecating into water. I've moved the collection pan that collects the dripper water (pan is emptied so that they dont drink from it), and they still find it to poop in! LOL

p.s. can I use you as an example with the glass cages the next time somebody screams "must have screen cage!?" :)

Back
Top Bottom