Leopard gecko supplementation

Serbianchameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I got a female leopard gecko and I need your help for supplements. I have arcadia calcium and arcadia calcium with mangesium. I dont have multivitamin and calcium with d3 atm. How much should I feed her with wich supplements out of those four?
8C8D4FFF-71F6-4E41-B45E-FB8A357114FF.jpeg

I always supplemented mine the same way I did the chameleons and left a little lid of calcium in the cage so they could lick it up if they wanted to. Mine were just the normal color though. I don't know if morphs would have different needs or not. I also used a UVB long linear tube light over their cages. They both lived to be over 19 (I stopped counting at 19).

BtW, I did use sand as a substrate....but it was washed playsand. Never use that calcisand...it will impact them. The sand I used was the one produced by Kings that comes in a white bag with red, blue, yellow sand box toys on the front.

I always supplemented mine the same way I did the chameleons and left a little lid of calcium in the cage so they could lick it up if they wanted to. Mine were just the normal color though. I don't know if morphs would have different needs or not. I also used a UVB long linear tube light over their cages. They both lived to be over 19 (I stopped counting at 19).

BtW, I did use sand as a substrate....but it was washed playsand. Never use that calcisand...it will impact them. The sand I used was the one produced by Kings that comes in a white bag with red, blue, yellow sand box toys on the front.
Okay thank you! Can they have too much calcium? Just curious if I place a lid with some calcium powder can she have a calcium overdose? I dont have uvb light. My breeder told me they dont need the light but to keep her next to the window/daylight so she has a clue when its day and when its night. But because of that no uvb light I need to keep on track with d3..

The amount of calcium they will absorb out of their diet is related to the amount of the vitamin D3 they get from supplements so I don't believe they can overdose on calcium. PrEformed vitamin A also has to be in balance with the D3 as well.

In the wild the geckos are free to sit outside in the sun or hide away from the sun as they please. In captivity they have the same options if the cage is set up properly. Having the UVB light therefore IMHO shouldn't hurt them.

Here's a study you might like to read...
https://www.reptifiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Geckos-and-UVB-paper.pdf

This might be of interest to you too...
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/skintests.htm
"In captivity, we might expect this species to benefit from low levels of UVB, but high levels might be harmful, since such a large proportion of it penetrates the skin."

Last edited:
The amount of calcium they will absorb out of their diet is related to the amount of the vitamin D3 they get from supplements so I don't believe they can overdose on calcium. PrEformed vitamin A also has to be in balance with the D3 as well.

In the wild the geckos are free to sit outside in the sun or hide away from the sun as they please. In captivity they have the same options if the cage is set up properly. Having the UVB light therefore IMHO shouldn't hurt them.

Here's a study you might like to read...
https://www.reptifiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Geckos-and-UVB-paper.pdf
How much vitamin A and multivitamin should i give her? Im reading your link rn 😁

I added to my previous post after you quoted it...so there's another link.

I used herptivite with beta carotene in it twice a month (so the question is still there about whether reptiles can convert it or not)...and I used phos free calcium/D3 RepCal twice a month...both lightly. At all other feedings I used RepCal phos free calcium powder...and in the lid in the cages I used fruit flavoured Tums crushed to a powder with a mortar and pestle.

Somehow I missed this post. Just want to say she’s beautiful! 🥰
My leopard geckos are finicky and inconsistent eaters and I realized I’d probably go insane if I tried a supplement regimen similar to that of my chameleons. I just use Repashy calcium plus (the one with the leopard gecko on the label) and they have their little dishes of plain Repticalcium no D3.

Back
Top Bottom